Timing gear experiment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Timing gear experiment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

I recently tried different vendor's timing gear sets. The reason is on some of the rebuilt engines I would hear cam gear noise but I noticed there was none on the bronze gears. so for the heck of it I tried DMC gears that where aluminum on a 12 engine I recently helped out on and there is no noise with them. I do not know if the gears from the other vendors where machined from the same machine or different source for top to bottom gear. Just thought i would let some one else know what I have found out, hope this helps. I know the nylon or fiber ones would not make any noise so I did not try them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Joe, I am in the dark on "DMC" gears. Can you enlighten me?

Alan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Would that be a set of Dan Mceachern's timing gears?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Allen and Frank they are the Dan Mceachern's gears, I did know know he made aluminum ones till I repaired an engine with them in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Gotcha Joe. I have had one of Dan's alloy gears before. It would have been supplied by the vendors, most likely Snyders.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Gotcha Joe. I have had one of Dan's alloy gears before. It would have been supplied by the vendors, most likely Snyders.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 12:23 am:

Dan's gears are the best on the market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:05 am:

Your right about that Gary! I have one of his bronze ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Check out DMC's triple gear needle bearing sets.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:59 am:

There was a post a couple of weeks ago about timing gears and noise, so I have been listening to my daily driver, a Ford F1. I put an aluminum timing gear in it and have never noticed any gear noise so now I listen for it, I even start it end listen under the hood while I rev the engine and I do not hear anything from that area.
I have been replacing all Model A and Model T cars that I overhaul or rebuild with metal gears.
I see no reason not to. I have done some, especially model A and B where if you listen closely you can hear it, but the customers never complain, Some like that sound because they know that it's a metal gear and will last forever.
I just hate road-side restorations.
I have had a T, a '40 Ford, '53 Chev, a Plymouth, a Volvo and a Corona leave me stranded due to fiber timing gears giving up on me. Maybe more that I don't remember. Oh ya, about a '62 221 C.I. Ford Fairlane too.
Plus I have had so many customers that had fiber and plastic gears and sprockets go bye-bye. A ton of Dodge 360 vans. And after they are replaced with all metal sprockets or gears there is no noise, at least noticeable noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 07:50 am:

Off Topic : Many moons ago, I replaced the cam gear on a Mercury Capri. It was the early German version 2.6 V-6. The plastic cam gear had gone bad, and to replace the steel crank gear involved lowering the oil pan. I decided to only replace the cam gear with a new aluminum one. I greased the teeth, buttoned it up. When I started the engine, there was so much timing gear noise it was embarrassing. I let it run while I washed my hands and considered my options. After 10 minutes or so of running, it was whisper quiet. I did a dozen or so of them over the next few years, with the same game plan. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Thanks Joe and Ron. Our timing gears are pretty easy to identify- the cam gears have my name and "Alameda, Calif" cast into the front face. They have been this way for 30 years. I'm always available to help with any timing gear problems or answer any questions. Dan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration