OT - Back in 1946 at age 12 Richard Carlson started working & soon needed a car ...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Back in 1946 at age 12 Richard Carlson started working & soon needed a car ...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:22 am:

This is a story of a 1926 Model T shared by a father & son.

It was related to me in part by Nita Carlson of Billings, MT.

The rest I researched ....

Richard Duane Carlson, Sr. was born June 8, 1934 in Tracy, MN.

He started working at age 12 outside the home.

Shortly afterwards he bought this Model T for $12 to get him back & forth to work.

From 1958-1959 he attended Hansen Technical School in Fargo ND for Auto Body Repair.

In 1959 he moved to New Ulm.

On June 1, 1959 he started as an auto body repairman for New Ulm's Chuck Spaeth Ford.

He retired April 12, 2000 just shy of 41 years with Ford.

Twelve days later - he died.

This Model T sat for years until Richard Carlson Jr. came from Billings, MT to pick it up.

He had intentions on restoring it - put it up on jack stands in the garage - pulled the fenders - started on removing the paint ...

He had a premonition of sorts - knew he would not finish the car - put it up for sale - found a buyer ...

Richard Carlson Jr. died at age 57 on July 8th, 2015.

This is how the car looked when I arrived to pick it up last Tuesday ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Every car I haul has a story - some more poignant than others.

Mike called me from Shevlin, MN & needed a haul for this Model T.

I contacted Nita & set up the pick up.

The story unfolded on my arrival.

Her husbands' tools lay where he left them on his workbench - he also had an Indian motorcycle he was working on.

I was alone for several minutes in the garage - Nita had just told me the history of this Model T.

And I started to tear up ....

Nita was great - her husband had made peace with God near the end.

We tried to air the tires but both driver side tires were flat so no easy rolling to the curb.

I eased the T off the jack stands & rigged up a tow strap ...

We got it to the road & I loaded it up on the trailer ....

Nita was off to do some trout fishing & camping with her parents for the weekend.

I promised her I would try to tell the story of the Model T.

We parted ways & I headed to Minnesota ...

I dropped off to Mike on Sunday.

I told him the story.

I hope this car gets finished someday & gets to see the road again ....

Thank you Nita & Mike .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

Well, when it comes to Mike it'll be parted out - it'll certainly see the road again, in a dozen various T's all over the world..
And since many T's need good parts, but there isn't enough market for repro production of many improved T parts, then parting out is an unfortunate but necessary service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

Shame it wont be restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Terrible shame that Richard Sr. died so soon after retiring. How often it seems that happens, someone works over 35-40 years in one place and pfft...they're gone. Really sad too that Richard Jr. passed on in what was really the prime of his life. God rest both their souls, my heart goes out to the families.

Touching story Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:07 am:

Mack,

I would be glad to pass along contact information about the current owner - anything is possible.

Tim,

I thought so as well.

Richard Sr. was devoted to work - it get him going.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 04:01 am:

Load it back up and take it back to the lady, It'll be torched otherwise.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration