Desperately need Good Machine Shop in Portland OR/Vancouver WA?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Desperately need Good Machine Shop in Portland OR/Vancouver WA?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Can anyone suggest a Good Machine Shop that can slightly shave down and boil out an Aluminum Head for my T?. It's the rare Reeder Head discussed about a week ago on here. Desperately need a shop that knows and does the T's. Thanks
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

Keith:
any automotive machine shop should be able to do this job ...that being careful to not use anymore clamping force than necessary (to not distort head ) take a roughing cut then a light finish cut to assure minimum cutter/material deflection ...if possible use a light cutting fluid (wd-40 or water soluble cutting fluid) on finish pass...also record starting dimension and finish dimension so that it is known how much material was removed...check for piston and valve interference in final assembly ...then OFF TO THE RODEO ! always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Ask them to weld the oval water passage between 2&3 shut, then drill the same holes as a std head before planing it - many have had head gasket failures with Reeder heads before doing that modification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

I would think any good auto machine shop could do this as most modern cars are running aluminum heads. I like the guys at Baxter's at Hayden Meadows for my work. Give them a call first and save yourself a 40 mi. round trip, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Another question I forgot to ask was:

What is the recommended bolt Torque for Aluminum Head?

What should the PSI compression test be?

Will be lapping the valves, replace with new valve springs (has 1 piece valves, not 2 piece),valve spring seats and pins,and new gaskets, of course. Thanks
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Keith -
Yes, I have used Rick's Cylinder Head Service on River Rd. in Milwaukie with good results. They decked my Model A block and installed hardened valve seats. They share a building with Able Radiator, who have repaired '15 radiator. They can certainly handle the job you describe. Rick's is (503) 653-8729, and Able is (503) 652-2707.
- Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

For what it's worth. Our Z aluminum head uses stainless steel washers on the head bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

2X Baxter's at Hayden Meadows, that's where we have our work done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Keith-

When you have it done, make sure they actually machine it on a milling machine, and don't simply put it on a large belt sander.
-Keith

Torque to 55-60 lbs.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p00o5tWxl-c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Hi all, just got back from the machine shop, and dropped off the head, they were very nice, and explained any concerns I had. Said it would be a couple of days, and were familiar with doing Aluminum heads. I felt very comfortable leaving it with them, (Gut Feeling)! They showed me this huge Milling machine, that they do it on.

Don & Mark, Yes I took it to Baxter's in Hayden Meadows.

Jay, I bought new washers from Lang's, I will check to see if they are Stainless Steel.

Bruce, Baxter's was more convenient for me, drive wise.

Gene & Keith T., Don, I have only experienced bad dealings, with Almost every business transactions, here in the Northwest, that I have done,( lying, not performing the work ,overcharging, stealing, even with numerous recommendations, from the local community. My gut feeling says, this company, will give me hope, that there are still, good honest, business people out there. I was willing to ship it across the country, if I had to get done.

Thanks to you all for your help.
Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration