Improved Sport Touring at Stone Mountain, Georgia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Improved Sport Touring at Stone Mountain, Georgia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

The picture is said to be from 1926, so the Touring must have been brand new.

Sport Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

And the change in Stone Mountain over the years from 1926, the stone masons had just started!

Sculptor A. Lukeman continued until 1928, when further work stopped for thirty years. In 1958, the Georgia legislature purchased Stone Mountain for $1,125,000. In 1963, Walker Hancock was selected to complete the carving, and work began in 1964. The carving was completed by Roy Faulkner on March 3, 1972.

This is what the mountain sculptor of Stonewall Jackson, Robert E Lee, and Jeff Davis looks like now, viewed from inside the cable car. :-)

And this is the view from the top of that big rock!

And the Sport Touring of 1926

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Better go there soon if you want to see that carving in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Royce,
What's the hurry? Is it somehow I jeopardy? From the look of it, it'll be there for a long time to come!

Related:
A History Channel item recently highlighted Mt. Rushmore. I found very interesting the narrators explanation of how the sculpture was cut 3" high, the actual intended images when finished will have 3" less stone than they do now. This was done to compensate fore erosion. It is estimated that the Mt. Rushmore granite will erode 1" per 10,000 years, so it won't be "finished" for about 30,000 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Henry: Certain people in this country want it blasted clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

Beautiful and respectful reflection on an important period of our national experience.

To destroy history is akin to cultural cleansing. Something that totalitarian governments or radical extremists do to dismantle the fabric of a society.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Dan,
I get it. I don't know a thing about Stone Mountain, but I agree with your comment 100%.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

I do not see a flag there so it should be OK. I understand the honor of a flag of your ancestors. It just doesn't belong on top of a statehouse. I also think too many people are overreacting.

Stone Mountain is a part of history. It should stay there forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

https://www.stonemountainpark.com/activities/history-nature/Confederate-Memorial -Carving

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 07:58 am:

I'm about damned tired of this flag debate. These hate groups have turned that flag into something that it never was. My GGG grandfather was killed fighting under that flag and I'm not ashamed of that. What I AM ashamed of is what these racists hate groups have done with it, and what revisionist historians have convinced the general public of. It's a damned shame. Royce is right. It won't be there much longer, nor will any confederate memorial. Give it 50 years and see if you can find any trace of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Dave,

The flag was removed from atop the statehouse back in, I believe, 2000. The flag was on a flag pole next to a Confederate Memorial. Exactly where it should have been. It just so happened to be on a corner of the statehouse grounds. To remove the flag from the memorial is a shame. Then why not remove the memorial itself? Are we to remove the flag from Civil War reenactments? Are we now to pretend that this history never took place?
As a northerner, the flag belonged with the memorial!
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 08:49 am:

Sure not correct word for word but those who forget history are doomed/damned to repeat it!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 08:58 am:

All this bull#*%^ kinda reminds me of the "revisionist history" of the Communists and the radical Muslim destruction of their antiquities by the Taliban and Isis. Radicals are just that and if we let them get away with their radical ideas I think we have plenty of historical evidence to tell us what the result will be and it ain't pretty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Removing the flag from Civil War Reenactments. You say this in jest but the Luthern Theological Seminary on Seminary Ridge in Gettysburg holds a reenactment/living history in conjunction with the main reenactment nearby each year. They have already banned the flag from being displayed in any manner including historical outside on the grass of their property. So Union troops are there but flag less confederates are there too. Whitewashing it just as fast as they can.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration