EUROPE TOURING

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: EUROPE TOURING
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

anyone ship their car to europe , preferable greece, for touring around? What was the experence like?
thanks
john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

John, driving a T in Greece would be great; some parts of Greece are mountainous though. A few years back I drove an old Russian made Moskvich 407 to there from Ukraine via Romania and Bulgaria. There are old car clubs there that can help, and many people speak English. Very few Ts or pre-WW2 cars in Greece so everyone will love you. The price of petrol is the biggest negative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Thanks Constantine ,
just came back from 3 week vacation visiting family . I was thinking how great it would to bring a T there .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

The other good thing about Greece is that non-EU citizens can say take a Model T there, use it, then store it in Greece for a future trip without paying import duty; it can be for years. You get special number plates and the car is "sealed" by Customs in a location of your choosing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Nafplion here I come !! How did you find this info out ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

I actually did exactly that with the Moskvich 407 I drove there from Ukraine.

REQUIREMENTS CONCERNING THE VEHICLES

Upon their entry in Greece, vehicles have to bear an official registration number, either permanent or temporary from the country that issued the circulation license, as well as the circulation license itself.Vehicles have to be insured and if the circulation license and the registration number are of temporary type, have to be valid upon the time of the entrance of the vehicle to Greece. If the registration expires, and the interested persons want to circulate the car in the country until the completion of the six months period, they have to obtain from the competent customs authority, before the expiration date, a temporary Greek registration and circulation license. The stay and circulation of a vehicle with an expired registration and circulation license entails the imposition of fines.

EXPIRATION OF CIRCULATION PERMISSION

Upon the completion of the six month circulation, the vehicle has to be re-exported from Greece or asked in due time for its immobilization – warehousing in a private or public parking. The duration of the immobilization can’t exceed twenty four (24) months. The beneficiary can then again circulate the vehicle for six more months within a twelve month period, provided he can prove that he is still a permanent resident abroad. This process repeats itself. If during the 24 month period of immobilization the beneficiary doesn’t ask permission for the circulation of the vehicle again or doesn’t give another legal destination for the said vehicle, then after the 24 month period the said vehicle is declared unclaimed.

http://athens.usembassy.gov/customs_duties.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

I'd be afraid to leave a car there, even under those terms, then have the government "go away" while I was gone. Who knows what you'd come back to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

If you do take your T to Greece you may want to tune it to run on home made ouzo or tsipuro to cut fuel costs...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

ha bravo!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

I found Cretan Raki to be 100 plus octane! Wasted on a T but not on the occupants!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

ok, so how many of us Greeks own model T's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

There's a T for sale at a dealer in Greece, see:

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/3465936/

I fear though the "1 Euro" price means typical continental European fantasy land prices for old cars or the dealer will set the price based on what he thinks you can pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Well, I own 7 of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

It's the same thing that folks pull on Craigslist, listing their stuff for a dollar so that it bumps to the top when other folks sort the listing by price. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Forget the lightweight Champion X plugs, these are what any serious Greek Model T guy is using:

The Archimedes and Pythagoras plugs are also good.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration