OT some what

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT some what
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Ok I have the glands and sealing rings for my 27 Coupe. And I have my C intake and exhaust that I will be installing. So what I need to know do they make the sealing rings for the A also? And if so who has them? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Looking at Snyder's it seems the A has gland rings like the T: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/gland-rings-2673

But the copper gaskets they offer are connected, not separate rings as for a T:
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/copper-manifold-gaskets
They claim there is asbestos in the middle, but I think it's been banned - so maybe some kind of substitute?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 10:30 am:

The A uses the rings for the same reason as the T, to prevent droop of the rear of the exhaust manifold. The problem was taken care of later when the the exhaust manifold was modified in the rear part. As far as I know the recess are in all the A blocks. Do all your fitting, the T rings may be loose in the C manifold and C may be tight in the T as in not fit. If the recessed are different size in the block and manifold then there is no point in using them just to have something that rattles then gets blown into the exhaust pipe.
Does the C have the recesses"

To add to this, when the A (B,C) manifolds are bolted down there is a special washer that is used, it has a dome shape to it. The T studs are 3/8 and the A I think are 7/16 but those washers should still work.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/stud-washers
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/gland-rings-2673

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Thanks for the help guys. I have lathe and mill and want to make my own gland rings that will have step sizes. I want the brass rings to do the sealing. I like to play around once in a while and this seams like a fun job. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Suggestion, slit them like the originals. The need to expand and contract. If you can, post photos of the rings when your done. I think you might have to use the Model A gasket instead of the T copper rings because you would need the gasket to seal to the larger ports in the exhaust manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Hi Mark, You are right. I want to use the T glands on the T side and the A glands on the A side. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

It was suggested today to leave the rings a little on the loose side and not splitting them. Do some good checking if you make the individual rings the ports may be off set. I would think about instead of making the rings just getting the adapter plate but it would be fun to try it your way as you have the tools. I also understand by your last sentence what your planning on doing and how the seal rings will be installed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration