Classic Car Insurance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Classic Car Insurance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Wheeler on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

I have American Collectors (Bankers) Insurance that I pay about $160/year. After I got it, many people told me I should go with this or that company because it was cheaper. Any recommendations for the best rates/coverage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Anymore this opens up about as many opinions as what kind of oil,or tru-fire or mag, or water pump or no water pump and the like, but I have mine with State Farm and am okay with them. To me, the true "happiness" with any insurance company comes with the way they handle a claim, which of course means you're already having a bad day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Skip,
I have 5 T's, an 87 corvette, and a 76 Harley and I pay around $500/year total for full coverage with zero deductible and 500K liability with JC Taylor. The key is the declared value! If you say they are worth a lot, you will pay a lot. If mine are stolen, I'm screwed. If wrecked, I'll buy it back and rebuild. The p/u in my profile was totaled, sold back to me for a song, and is now my Depot Hack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:17 am:

I've never, ever heard a bad word said about Hagerty. _They love young drivers and encouraged me to teach my (then) 18-year-old daughter to drive my Model T. _They're nice people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 06:57 am:

Skip, Read the fine print. Ask the hard questions. When asking the hard questions use the worst case scenario and like Mike said, consider what you feel your car is worth to you. I like to insure for what I think it's going to cost me to replace my car and go from there.

Unlike Tim, State Farm screwed me bad. I will never insure anything through them again. They are not your friend.

Iv had Hagerty Plus for many years. I feel that maybe I pay a little more than others for my insurance but I also have peace of mind if something should go bad. The other thing you need to consider is that your Model T is a target. There are folks who think the we are rich and will try and set you up for a crash to sue you for millions of dollars that you don't have so consider that also when buying insurance.

The Plus side of Hagerty is the towing, I broke down once on an old farm road miles from my home and they came and got me no problem using only landmarks because I had no idea what road I was on..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Will I agree with you about State Farm but other family and friends in other states love them they used to be good in Florida until about 6 or 7 years ago when the state told them if they dropped all homeowners policies that they would no longer be allowed to write auto policies in Florida so they are taking it out on the consumer! :-( Too bad!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 10:50 am:

I've had JC Taylor for a decade and they have been great. I also pay $12 a year for a flatbed tow service- if I should break down. Nice folks and reasonable rates.

Just FYI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

We recently switched to Liberty Mutual for our vehicles and home insurance.

The only problem was that I can not find the place to attach the "Right Track" discount monitoring device on the T.
The insurance lady told me that it is a FORD and it has to have an OBDII connector.
Can someone tell me where it is located?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Fred; Tell your insurance lady that you are getting too old to crawl under the dash of your ford and ask if you drive it over if she will hook it up for you! (Customer Service)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

This topic comes up all the time and I fail to understand the logic that everyone uses in trying to find something cheaper. Like Tim said, You get what you pay for and you will never know how good your ins company is until you have a claim. I've seen J.C.Taylor in action and that's where I have my cars insured (along with a lot of friends in the hobby). Whatever you do, go with a company that specializes in antique car insurance-not one that insures everything. Put another check mark in the box for a company that supports the old car hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:13 am:

Terry is partially correct.

There are good and bad insurance companies - good The most expensive is not always the best and the cheapest is not always the worse.

I do not just renew my policies every year. I do a reality check every 3-4 years and usually find that I can get better coverage at a lower price somewhere else.

I learned this years ago when, after being with a company for 5 years, suddenly got a premium increase that was out of sight.
When I checked around I found that I could get more coverage at a lower cost.
When I told the independent agent that we were going elsewhere he said that he could have found less expensive insurance from a better company if I had asked.
I told him that it was too late as I had expected him to be looking out for our interests.

Lesson learned - you have to watch out for yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:18 am:

Fred, I switched to Liberty Mutual also. I am 1/2
way through the "RIGHT TRACK"discount program.
I don't think you have to worry to much about fast starts and fast stops in your T. HA-HA.
AS far as ANTIQUE CAR INSURANCE is concerned. I agree with Terry. I have had J.C. Taylor for 50 years. I have had two claims. They took care of them quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Fred, I switched to Liberty Mutual also. I am 1/2
way through the "RIGHT TRACK" program. I don"t think you have to worry to much about QUICK STARTS
and QUICK STOPS in your T HA-HA!!!!!
As far as Antique Car insurance is concerned, I agree with with Terry. I have had J.C. Taylor for years. I have had two claims. They handled them very quickly.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration