Safety Part Two

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Safety Part Two
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Here is a link to Part one. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/553007.html?1436227954
I didn't know if I should add this to the "Be careful out there" thread or not.

We asked a neighbor lady sew this for my son's roadster. It is brighter orange than the photo shows.
It is also ugly in my opinion.
But it does show up.
A friend of mine passed us heading out of town the other day. Later he sent me an email saying "I passed the sun on North High St. this morning"
It is made of the brightest rip stop nylon that I could find and is held in place by elastic sewn around the inside edge which makes it easy to put on and remove. Wadded up it is smaller than a softball. With a few alterations and the addition of a couple strips of reflective material I think it will look better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Lime green like the safety vest works better in my OP. Stands out better and I read a study that men esp see the green more then orange. Ether case good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

I would just put small flashing LED lights on the back if you are concerned, along with very bright led lights in the existing taillights. You may be overthinking this, besides i wouldn't want a driver in an alcohol-induced hypnotic trance to zero in on that giant orange circle like a moth to a flame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Driving a car designed during the Brass-Era is always going to be dangerous. _If the car itself doesn't tip, tumble or suffer some catastrophic mechanical failure, there remains the even more likely hazard presented by some hat-backwards kid in a yellow Mustang GT who changes lanes like a pinball while texting his girlfriend. _I very nearly got rear-ended by one such jackass while waiting at a red light. _He didn't have room to stop, for he was really moving, but fortunately, did have the maneuverability to swerve, at the last second, into the oncoming lane (and the oncoming drivers swerved to miss him). _Obviously, this one was a matter of somebody not paying attention and it wouldn't have mattered if I'd had a movie marquee on my tail that spelled out "PLEASE DON'T HIT ME" in flashing, unfrosted bulbs.

Then again, those drivers who don't have their head aimed at the sound system in the dashboard (or up their alimentary canal) stand a good chance of spotting your big orange dot; and having taken note of your existence, will probably give you a wide berth—so the gimmick you came up with is certainly worthwhile, not to mention creative as hell.

Alas, there's only so much one can do. _We use lights, add-on turn signals and brake lights and (hopefully) keep our cars in tip-top mechanical condition.

Now, I'm about to wade deep into The Boring Zone, so most forum readers will want to stop here.

The things that make life worth living, to one degree or another, involve risk.  _People told me that skydiving was safe, but I never bought into the concept of bailing out of a perfectly good airplane that wasn't burning.  _Though I'm unshakable in my belief that recreational parachuting isn't safe, I'm also of a strong suspicion that the thrill which accompanies this experience is at least comparable to the last part of a third, consecutive date with a Victoria’s Secret model. 

I was a pilot for a lot of years and once bought into the myth that flying small, propeller-driven airplanes was perfectly safe.  _But over the course of those years, I lost five flying-buddies who died in the cockpit, so I now know that’s a crock—and with bare hands and fire in my eyes, I'll strangle the next moron who tells me, "Well, at least he died doing what he loved to do."

But along with the risks came rewards.  _I've flown in a mighty P-47 Thunderbolt, barrel-rolled and looped through a desert sky in a cloth-covered Citabria, did wingovers and wifferdills in a snarling AT-6, watched the ocean turn to gold in the sunset from the cockpit of my own Navion and experienced airborne wonders and freedoms that defy description.  _I managed the risks with a very conservative attitude and as it happened, survived the experience with not one moment of regret. 

Now, driving a brass-era car in modern traffic isn't the safest possible endeavor in which to be engaged, but as with other things, there are acceptable methods of managing the risk involved (and situational awareness tops that list).  _Sitting on ten-gallons of gasoline in a Model T can't be all that much worse than nestling the family jewels up against the fuel tank of a Harley-Davidson.  _Hey, people get away with it every day.  _You can decide to grab the bull by the horns and turn your life into a thrill-ride, or you can play it completely safe and sink into a clinical depression. 

Or, you can take the middle ground and season some reasonable risks with a dash of intelligence.  _If you never do reach for the brass ring, someday, when you approach the finish line, you're going to feel serious regrets. 

Teddy Roosevelt was the type of guy who took great big bites out of life and lived it to its absolute fullest.  _He once said, “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:27 am:

That deserves a smiley face!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

It's so nice to read a Forum wherein pleasant words are written; no back-stabbing, no back-biting nor whining...just good natured, well intended stories of life.

And some humor thrown in to brighten an otherwise dull, rainy day up here in the Northeast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

It's not always so friendly.

I had suggested that the club make orange safety banners available with the club logo and was beat down within an inch of my digital life.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/334788.html?1358112904

Doesn't stop me from still using one. I agree, it makes you much more visible from behind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

The enhanced version :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Dale,

Great idea ....

Ed,

Great art work ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

I think I'd rather be rear ended than drive with that orange thing on the back my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Dave,

How about bright red with a big white maple leaf in the center?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Ed, while photo-shopping the picture couldn't you have at least given me some hair???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

You do know you can get material in reflective black color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Richard, you're right and that might not be a bad idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

good one Ed.

I think a safety green spare tire cover would look good on my green '26 touring and an orange one on my blue '29 Nash.
I will mention it to the war dept. since she sews for a full time job anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 06:56 am:

How about an orange matching hat with a smiley face.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration