Pepper in Rad with slow leak?? Good, bad or???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pepper in Rad with slow leak?? Good, bad or???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

I appear to have developed a slow leak in my Rad, not sure of location, nothing noticeable, just a drip now and then. Is pepper a temporary solution? If it is, what grind? . . . Or, are there other more efficient "stoppers" till I can do something this fall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Worked for me on an old radiator.Medium grind pepper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

I was a bit surprised when a radiator pro suggested pepper as a temporary fix for a leaking seam. I dumped in the two tablespoons he recommended, and the leak was much improved. A third spoonful almost stopped it completely. I think a fourth may do the trick until I can get the seam fixed this winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

The powdered aluminum stuff in a tube is cheap and works as well as pepper, probably better. Lasts a season or two. I've used Barsleaks in the past but after the bad press on this website have not used it. It did stop the leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Steven Robbins.... Newton, Kansas on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I put 2 tabs of Barsleak ground up in and completley stopped my multiple seepages, Old stuff i've had around for years and never tried. Been all summer and not a drop or overheating. I'm sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

I agree with Richard. Use AlumAseal powder.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 07:46 am:

Barsleaks is only a brand name for a line of many different leak repair products. Their bad reputation is undeserved, as will be your reputation if you tell the forum you used it (Or pepper). My advice, use the pepper or a commercial leak stopping product, then don't tell anybody. It may work or it may not, depending on how bad the leak is. I've used both with good results over the years, and I've had both fail to fix some leaks. But, I can say that. My reputation sucks already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Ross I have used black pepper as a fix for years. Here is a link about a recent leak I had, and the virtues of black pepper. It is just a temporary fix, but I have had it hold for years, back in the day when I was "young, dumb, and broke" The general rule on the size of the grind, is the smaller the leak the smaller the grind, the larger the leak the courser the grind.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/534842.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Be careful when using pepper.

It has dangerous side affects!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:56 am:

As long as the radiator isn't sneezing...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Not true Hal...

Some of your posts are true pearls!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:28 am:

I have use bar-leak (the flakes) on a couple of different cars (old Mopars) over the years, it stopped the leaking admirably I did not notice any adverse effects on engine cooling or heater operation. FWIW :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Some of the stop leak sold at the auto parts store is probably ground pepper.

Based on my own observations, I'm convinced that Prestone Stop Leak is pulverized oatmeal (or, at least it was 30 years ago).

A local newspaper columnist in the Twin Cities who is an all around "motor head" and answers readers questions on automobile maladies claims that radiator stop leak is put in all new cars before they leave the factory. A casual search on the internet seems to verify this (specifically Bar's Leaks) but who knows if it is actually true or just a myth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Hal, I take exception to your view; I dont think your reputation is viewed as such and appreciate your viewpoints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

I have used dry mustard powder. Worked for me. A few good heaping tablespoons did it for me. Still no leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

I've just been reading "Two Thousand Miles in an Automobile" by Arthur Jerome Eddy. Basically a travel diary for a journey from Chicago to New York in 1901. Multiple times in the text, the author mentions having poured a "pint of bran" obtained from a conveniently located friendly farmer into his radiator to fix leaks. He mentions a 2" split that was cured within 5 miles this way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Well there are advantages to using pepper, mustard powder, oatmeal, and bran. If you have a manifold cooker then you have spices on board for seasoning when you cook. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

The aluminum powder worked well in the radiator leak I had. The stuff has been around for years.

Lasts a long as any other exotic radiator sealer you'll pay more for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Back in the day they'd try a few old road apples if nothing else was available. I've also heard of oats, oat meal, eggs, dehydrated potatoes and several other concoctions. Do any of them work? You bet. Throw in a pound of ground beef (notice I didn't say burger (you're welcome)) and you could be making a meatloaf or chilli soup. Did I mention the road apples?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:58 am:

Thanks all, have put in 3 tablespoons fine ground pepper, so far so good. Proof will be in the 'pudding', so to speak, this week end . .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration