Auxillary brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Auxillary brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:56 am:

I have a small drum rear axle and want to fit it with Rocky Mtn. Brakes. I have a pair of good large brake drums for wooden wheels and was wondering if I can use the Rocky Mtn. Brake set for the large drum rear and simply use the large brake drums that I have over the small drums with longer hub bolts. Has anyone ever done this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Val,

I believe the RM kit comes with large drums just for that purpose. If you're suggesting using 26/27 drums over small drums, I would guess that wouldn't work as they wouldn't be wide enough after stacking the on top of the existing small drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:18 am:

The only problem I could see is that due to the open area where the backing plate would normally be you could set up some harmonics which might cause a loud ringing of the outer drum which could cause the lining of the RM's to wear pre-maturely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Alternatively you may want to use these
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/562395.html?1439332851

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Val;
First google Rocky Mountain brakes; "mtfca; Rocky Mountain brakes" you will get pages of the short comings of them.
This is not one of those mix and match to come up with a solution. The 26/27 drums are off set and were made for the large style rear end. The small brake drum would not set correctly in the larger drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Thanks Mark and others. I have Rocky Mtn. Brakes on 2 of my T's, AC brakes on another and am happy with both. They each have their limitations but they are much better than using the stock brakes alone. I am not a purist but cannot bring myself to go so far as to put disc brakes on my cars as I try to keep them as near to stock as possibly by using only accessories that were available during the Model T era. I did not think my plan would work but thought it was worth a shot as I couldn't see paying for the larger drums if they were not needed. Right now the drums I have are not where the small drum rear is so I couldn't try to match them up. I just thought that since the kit for the 26/27 rear uses the existing large stock drums I might be able to use that kit and my large drums on the small drum rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I bought a set or RM's at a swap meet and was in the same boat. A friend has a 26 coupe that they will now go on AFTER I do some modifications to make them work both ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Maybe, Val, but then you won't be able to use the small drums for the parking brake, the 26/27 drums are offset, so the small drums won't fit inside (like Mark already wrote above)

You may consider the small drum brakes Larry Sidmore makes - cheaper than the Rocky Mountains, and they work in reverse :-)

larrys stoppers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Roger, I have AC brakes on my runabout and like them but I think the larger drum is better for a touring especially when you have a full car as the extra braking surface you get with the large drum makes a difference with all that additional weight. As far as the brakes not working in reverse, I have never had a problem with that as I have the transmission brake adjusted to work with a little more pedal pressure and that is how I stop in reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Go with some Front Wheels. The outside rear wheel brakes in combo with the tranny should all be able to provide enough braking with the 3 1/2 tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

Val,

The Rocky Mountain brake kit for large drums uses the factory Ford large drums. You still need to have the stock Ford parking brake working for safety's sake. You cannot use stock Ford large drums with small drum backing plates so I don't believe you have a viable idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 09:16 am:

In addition to what Royce posted, the RM set for the '26'27 large drum rear axle uses different bracket pieces to mount to the larger backing plate.
The RM for small drum axle uses other brackets for install.

Set in background is for small drum axle. (Parts in red are what is in the set)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Dan the set of 26/27 RM/Ac's that I have is an older repo set. The slide bar at the rear is one piece.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration