OT - Looking for Recommendations on Free Photo Editing Software

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Looking for Recommendations on Free Photo Editing Software
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

My copy of Corel Paintshop Pro X3 has been corrupted. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program several times to no avail.

Can anyone recommend a free photo editor that I can download and use? I'm running an old Windows XP machine.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

I've had good luck with Serif Photo Plus Starter, which is very similar to Paint Shop Pro, right down to the keyboard shortcuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

You should have Microsoft Office on your XP computer. It is by far the easiest to use photo editor that I have seen and it is normally included with Windows.

Just right click on the picture to edit, and choose "Open With" and then choose "Microsoft Office". After that it will be super simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

Bruce, thanks for the recommendation, but my antivirus software identified that software as malware and blocked the download (whew!).

Royce, I do have Microsoft Office, I'll give it a try, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Mark did you check your registry to make sure all items were removed prior to reinstalling? Corel is famous for not removing all of it's entries from Hkey_local_machine / SOFTWARE?
If you were running LINUX I would recommend GIMP:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

G.R., I searched my C drive for "Hkey_local_machine" and it didn't find anything, what else could it be called?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Royce, I never knew that Microsoft Office had a "Picture Manager" in it, looks like it will do what I need to do, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

You have to go to Start > Run> then type in regedit and hit enter to get to it then go to Hkey_local_machine / SOFTWARE then I think it may even be listed under ADOBE CAUTION!!!!! if you are not familiar with the registry DO NOT MAKE CHANGES I thought you may have been familiar with that section of windows

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

G.R., thanks for the tip, I'm a fairly proficient computer user, but not a programmer (used to be you had to be a programmer to be a computer user, how times change!), sounds like I'd better leave it be. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

P.S. When I worked for AOL I spent many hours going through that with Luddite's who would check the open attachments automatically MS Outlook and get viruses on WB machines...... fun times at ridgemont high:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

look what i found,george"s world wide antique motorcycle trader. check it out click click done, size don't matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Mark I have used this editor for all my photos. It works on XP. It's free and has no malware.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 02:07 am:

I've been using Gimp. It sure can do lots of stuff. In fact, it can do so much that I sometimes get lost in the complexity. Once I figure out how to make a particular function work, it's great. But just getting there can be tough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 05:33 am:

You are correct about that Steve,the joke in the Linux users group is that it would take 6 people 1 year to learn everything that GIMP can do.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration