Question about Trans. Drum Temps after Short Trip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about Trans. Drum Temps after Short Trip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

My car has Kevlar bands from the previous owner and I am being super-cautious about not slipping them and checking to be sure he had them adjusted properly. I don't want to break a drum...sooo, this evening I put about 10 miles on the '27 and pulled the trans cover to look around.

The drums were hot enough with neighborhood driving (block to block and street to street) that I couldn't hold a finger on them....is that expected and about right? They aren't blue nor smoking but just wanted to ask.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Your engine oil probably runs about 250-280,and you can't handle it either. Sounds normal to me.Keep bands as loose as you can and still work.They will be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Thanks Jack, I am just being super-cautious and doing my best to run cool.

My radiator moto-meter mercury didn't even register up in the sight glass after 10 miles- so maybe that's a good sign too?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

James -- Adjust your bands so that they are fully engaged at about 1" to 1-1/2" above the floorboards and you'll be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Mike,
Just to clarify, measure from the back of the pedal fully depressed to the wooden board behind it?

Is that a universal number for band safety?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Jim -- Yes, it's the measurement I use for Kevlar bands and have driven them for many thousands of miles without a mishap. I never actually used a ruler, just eyeball 1" to 1-1/2" from the pedal to the floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Okay thanks, Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 07:10 am:

I would use caution with the 1-1 1/2" measurement method. IF the pedal cams are little to no wear and IF the pedals aren't bent and IF the slots in the floor boards are correct then it is valid. If any of the above issues are present you may well get them too tight still.

I have had them where that method produces a too tight of a band situation (which is correctable by heating the pedal and bending below floor level to fit the slot).

Doing as Mike suggest is ok but I would ensure the bands relax when viewed through the door at the given measurement. No disrespect to Mike, just additional caution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 09:23 am:

You're right, Gary. All the cams and pedals need to be in good working order, not too worn or bent. I always make sure of that, but I shouldn't assume that everyone else does. Peeking through the cover to check on things is a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:04 am:

I wish someone would make a short clip of "relaxed" bands. I can determine all of my bands relax when the pedals are released, but how far and how much are the million dollar answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

Great question James. I don't have a video but this is how I and I'm sure others do it. Adjust as Mike suggested to within an inch or so of bottoming out on the board. Now, when you release the pedal the ears should spread (or relax) about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. If you have any of the wear issues or if the floorboards are made incorrectly, you won't see the ears on the bands move by that amount.

Should that be the case, you will need to take corrective action to get them so they relax. Hope that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:57 am:

If you can mash the pedals to the floor and they don't slip they're good.
Done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:24 am:

The issue isn't with a slipping band but rather a dragging one. The advice Craig just gave doesn't address a band that is dragging (due to the wear points previously pointed out). Couple that wear with a dragging band and if its Kevlar, you will be changing a drum shortly.

You really need to verify that the bands relax visually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:05 am:

That's my concern as well- thanks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration