Brake equalizer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brake equalizer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

We installed a brake equalizer setup today. It`s hooked up to a 27 rearend brakes and brake rods. All for under $150 plus shipping. I did the welding of the bracket to the pedal myself. The return spring set was extra.Or you could use any springs to pull the pedal back. They work great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Is there any limiting device for the travel of each brake cam so that if an axle breaks and a back wheel comes off, the brake on the other side will still work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

If that happens that side will dig in and stop your car. Just thought I would try to save people a buck. Next time I see a good buy I`LL KEEP MY FINDS to myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

The OP states that they utilized the brake rods. In that case, a wheel falling off will not affect the other side. I'm glad to hear they work well for you and thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Rick, I have the same set up on my 26 roadster, it's a good unit. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Thanks guy`s just wanted to share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 02:03 am:

Wow, talk about things being taken the wrong way. Oh well, such is life on this forum. I have a 26 and use the rear drum brakes as a service brake - hence the possible interest in the unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 07:11 am:

Rick, I've installed the same set-up in My '26 touring. It probably doesn't work as well as Rockies or AC brakes, but is certainly easier on the budget than the previously mentioned two options. I tried the original set of brake shoes that were in good shape, then a new set of shoes that were re-lined with woven brake material the vendors sell, then lastly with the woven material that McMaster-Carr sells. The last stuff required some sanding to get it to fit correctly, but does work better and it quieter than the first two options.

The only problem I've had is that if my foot is on the brake when applying the parking brake, the pedal stays down. Not a problem I guess unless you have brake lights (which I have). Good luck with your car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

I never looked and do not know exactly how the brake pedal was modified to work (he said it was easy to do). But I talked to a fellow years ago that set up the large drum '26/'27 rear brakes to work off the brake pedal. But the brake handle operated the transmission brake band. That gave an independent parking brake and emergency brake in the event of anything like a broken clevis pin. He and the car were on a tour. Standing up next to the car, there was nothing visible to see different from stock.
I think it was a great idea. Better brakes, cheap to make and easy to maintain.
I hadn't thought about that one much for a long time. It may be a good time to start considering the idea for a lot of model Ts (traffic is much worse than it used to be).
It should not be very difficult to make a brake pedal and shaft kit available?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 06:04 pm:

Wayne that sounds a great idea, I would consider doing that to both of my T's as the rear drum Brakes work well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration