OT - Thank you to so many for helping put the K 6-40 on the road, and a few other ramblings:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Thank you to so many for helping put the K 6-40 on the road, and a few other ramblings:
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:15 am:

I had planned to do this following the Old Car Festival, but recent events (yesterday, in fact) caused me to move up the timetable.

I can't thank the many forum members enough who have helped with this project. I'll begin with a few names, and add others as I recall them.

First and foremost, Dean Yoder. Without Dean's dedication, determination, and ability to work through anything, including my impatience, I would not have had the wonderful experience of piloting these two marvelous machines over the last few years. Dean has the perfect combination of knowledge, humility, and perseverance to take on a project(s) like the Model K.

Others who have provided indispensable assistance and research include:
Ben Yoder, Bruce Van Sloun, Stan Howe, Mike Kosser, Dave Hjortnaes, Scott Owens, Tom Van Meeterem, Tim Kelly, Huey Vermuelen, Tom Nolte (Tom's Radiator), T. J. the incredible machinist, Rick Lindner, Don Tyler, Carl Pate, Trent Boggess, Hap Tucker, Dave Dunlavy, Mike Bender (who has now prepped three Model K engines for reboring, valves and pistons, yes, the "go to" K engine builder :-) ) Bob Trevan, Francis Ransley, Sky's Upholstery, and so many more whose names evade my memory (you'll understand why if you read on) at the moment, but who I will recall (or receive an angry email from), and list later.

The support from this forum has been invaluable. Many of offered advice and encouragement as we brought this Model T relative back to life. I'll single out Wayne Shelton, and our old friend, Ralph Ricks, along with so many others who have offered positive comments and suggestions.

Our own Herb Iffrig at the wheel of the 6-40 "Red Devil" (yes, I have a news story in which a K roadster is referred to as a "Red Devil"). Dean Yoder at the right in the blue jacket:

The reason I'm writing this thank you now is due to the critter that Henry Ford's wonderful cars helped replace, horses.

As many of you may recall, my wife and girls have three of the creatures. As it turns out, when I returned from New Brighton (Antique Car Run), these loving pets were out of pasture, so I threw up a hot wire on a small pasture for them.

As you may be able to see in the photo, one of the loving equines still has it's halter on. After moving them to this nice piece of shaded pasture, I took off halters. However, the one on the right decided she would like to keep her halter. Long story short, last evening when I tried to grab her and get the halter off, she wheeled, with me holding her halter, and the black and white mare, thinking she was wheeling to kick her, kicked back in response. Only trouble was, she kicked me in the head instead of the mare who deserved kicking.

My wife ran me to the emergency room, where we had X-rays and staples. A few fragments of bone at the collar bone/clavicle, swollen wrist, and mild concussion were the result. So, now I have time for this thank you to so many of you who have inspired the wonderful Model K project.

Thank you all,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:59 am:

Wow, Rob -- That's amazing! The only good thing I can share is that you could have been hurt much worse, or even killed.

I'm glad you're going to be OK. We need you in our family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Dang, Rob, that's rough. You must've had too good a time at the OCF. Remember, there are only two things that'll spook a horse, things that move and things that don't. Get well soon. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Thanks guys. Mike, you and Dave Wiglesworth are to "helpers" I forgot to mention. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Ouch ! That hurts just look at it, Rob.

Maybe you should talk to your wife and daughters about taking up a less dangerous (for you) hobby.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Thanks Dick. I need to add you too. Thank you for all the metallurgy information and research,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Sorry to hear and see it in pictures!! Any Amish around you could sell the horses to?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

I hate horses! We had them when I was a kid and I didn't care for them then either. They might be OK with A1 sauce but other than that....

Agree with Bud on selling to the Amish. Glad you weren't hurt more seriously.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Danged Rob...

You trying to become the poster child for your insurance company? That's an ouch and then some...

Take it easy on yourself pardner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

Rob, What can I say....it hurts just to look at your injuries. Sure hope you recover ok and will be at the OCF all healed up and ok.

BTW, stay away from the horses... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

A hand crank was never as dangerous or unpredictable as an animal with a brain the size of a walnut. You are very lucky. Hope you heal quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Gary,I started to say the Canadians have a cure for horse troubles!! Pass the A-1 Gary!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Keith, I need to add you, Bud and George to the list of contributors.
Gary, I felt the same way as a kid. My parents farmed with horses yet when they took over the farm from my grandfather in 1948. As a result we had a few of the nags around when I was growing up. Give me a motor any day.

Walter, the K "bit" me on Monday. Is nothing safe?
:-)

"K" love bite:

Henry Ford created somewhat of an uproar when he prophecized the end of the horse......in 1908:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Whoa! I mean whoa! Rob I saw the big red K 6-40 while I was at Kingston. As it usually goes, I wasn't able to catch up with you though I think I caught a glimpse of your then unmarked head as you were driving away. I'm sorry to hear of your injuries and feel a little obligated to remind you that those cantankerous beasts are best used for making Alpo! Heal quick and stay strong! Ouch! Geez

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

Rob, So you must be trying to say that you are "Hard Headed"? :-) Hope you get to feeling better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Rob,
At least they didn't have to shave your head to put in the staples! :-)
Hope you feel better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

You had me worried in the beginning of your tale that it could be something serious and ongoing. I am grateful that it was merely serious and hopefully you can soon fully recover.
I can sympathize with you and you family with the horses. If I were wealthy (something that fate and family have made certain will never happen), I would probably have a few horses. I like them, and enjoy riding them, but caring for them not quite so much. But oh the stories I can tell from the little bit I have interacted with them.
We did have a horse for awhile a bit over ten years ago. 17 hands quarter horse/thoroughbred retired from racing. My wife wanted to show her parents how well he was on a day she shouldn't have. He was spooked by a distant thunderstorm and decided to throw her at full gallop. One of her broken ribs still bothers her occasionally.
My grandfather many years ago farmed using horses, and was well known as a local expert. He switched to tractors in 1934 after one of the horses startled and kicked him in the face crushing his skull (his face was delightfully crooked the rest of his life).
Horses can be fun, affectionate, and unpredictably deadly.
I am very grateful that you seem to be okay and can stay with us for many, many, years to come!
Enjoy life, as many of the wonderful aspects of it as you want!
But do be a little bit careful. And get well soon.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

My concern is how is the poor old horse! Did it break it's leg when it hit that hard head? :-)

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Wow, glad you are ok, that said now you can help support that football team we all are waiting on for there first game. However I wouldn't recommend supporting the " go Big Red " quite in that manner. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Rob I am very thankful that you are going to be OK.
When I was about 12 or so we had a horse on the farm that we rode as kids. I remember saddling the horse for a ride.
The horse took off and the saddle went sideways and I was run into tree. The next thing I remember was my mom holding me in the bathroom with my tongue bit almost in two. I had to get it stitched up at the doctors office. I most of the time forget about that.

When you said you went in to get your head X-rayed I was waiting for someone to say "You went in to have your head examined and they couldn't find anything."
Be safe and keep us posted on your progress.
And thanks for getting the Model K out in the public eye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Rob: As bad as it was, just thankful it was not worse. Hope there are no hidden issues with your recovery. Regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Boy, some people will do anything to get attention. :-)

I guess it is time to leave the horses to the ladies and you concentrate your time on the cars.

I can imagine how much that hurt.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Not to worry, it's just your head. It'll grow back ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 02:01 am:

Wow, spend the day in the shop and not on the internet and it all goes to crap, that with friends maybe being killed. hell we were safer sitting at the bar in Lincoln. Might be time to fill out your will. Let me know if you need my address. Glad all is well and only a slight headache and some blood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:32 am:

Rob - Thanks for taking us along for the trip! For many years, I would stop by that garage in VA while passing through on business and stare at that car wondering what it actually was (beyond a Ford) and the history behind it. Glad to see that it now has a second life.

Hope to see it at Hershey some day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:02 am:

I'll start at the top:

Michael, sorry I missed you at Kingston. We were blowing through the tour, finding our way and trying to move right along, so we were the first car to leave. As the tour progressed (our first real road test) we learned the K was not very happy unless it was going over 35 mph, so we tried to leave first so as not to have so many cars to pass. Our speed (thanks to Dean's Garmin) ranged between 30 and 50 plus. Not bad for a 1907 car.

Mike, looking forward to attending one of the tours with the Lincoln group.

Bob, I was worried about them messing up my haircut.....:-)

Wayne, I can't believe I misspelled your last name. I'll blame it on the type of injury. I appreciate your sentiments, as well as personal story. Thank you, as always, for your posts.

Denny, glad to hear of your concern.....for the horse :-)

Bob, being from nearby SD, are you a Husker fan too?

Tim and Dave, thank you for the well wishes.

Burger, love your sense of humor. It is humor, isn't it?

Jerry, I think our injuries may have been worse this summer when you managed to have us thrown out of that Lincoln establishment, at least our pride. No, I haven't been back......

Dan, interesting to learn you have seen this K for some time in VA. If everything works out with schedules, I plan to bring it to Hershey this fall. If so, you'll have to stop by for a ride.

Thanks guys,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Rob, we met about six years ago, I lived in Kearney at the time and had a fourteen for sale that you came and looked at. I am sort of a Husker fan, guess you never get that out of your blood...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Jerry and I stand by our story that we were very safe at the bar in Lincoln. But I will bet my chances are better with the horses than that bar tender. I would recommend you stick with the horses, too. Just keep your eyes off of other peoples cell phones. :-) Nuf said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Rob, ... I spent three years in AFG. If I didn't have a sense of humor about
the bad stuff in life, I'd be putting a round in my temple. Too many people in
this world, getting too serious about stuff that really isn't that serious.

When the Sergeant tells you to put the man's legs in the litter beside him,
it puts all sorts of other things like head bangs and hammer-on-thumb collisions
in perspective. Sure it hurts and it could have been worse, but at this point,
what can a guy do but laugh about it and move on ? You can't unring the bell.
Have a laugh. I hear it helps the healing process. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Robert,
I remember now. I looked at your car for another forum member. As I recall, it was a very nice T.

Dave,
I just can't take Jerry and you anywhere without "issues." :-)

Burger,
Your experiences put things in perspective. I always consider myself fortunate when I know I'll recover, and this is one of those instances. Thank you for serving.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

Rob, I don't worry about what anyone calls me as long as it isn't late for dinner! (One of my dad's favorite sayings.)
And I will second your thanking Burger for his service. I enjoy his perspective.
Feel better soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Beautiful car and restoration. Have followed the restoration through the forum. I hope that some day it can be brought to Old Threshers over Labor Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

I wish you a speedy recovery, my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Rob, just getting caught up on the forum and caught this thread. I'm sorry you got kicked by that critter! We grew up with horses and played bareback tag but the last 2 I've been on I had rapid unscheduled dismounts. One put me in a cast and out of doing any surgeries for 5 months. I agree the best thing to put on a horse is A-1 sauce, but I have been on a few excellent horses. I hope there are no lingering side effects from the head trauma..I want to see that K running up close. Get well soon, Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:34 am:

It weren't your time to go.Glad it was minor.

Local teen was kicked in the head and was declared brain dead a few weeks ago.Was all over the news around here.
I was thrown off a horse when I was about 13,aint been on 1 since.
To heck with riding something with a mind of it's own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Thanks Wayne......

Harry, I would like to attend Old Threshers sometime. This year I'll be packing up and leaving for Dearborn (Old Car Festival and Dearborn to Lansing) on Labor Day.

Eric, thank you.

Noel, I getting over the soreness now. I would like to take these horses out for dinner, to France. However, there are always trade offs in order to have old cars.... :-)

Mack, yes, it could have been worse. I've never been a fan of horses since I was a kid and had a horse who knew was boss (him).

A neighbor just dropped this pic off. It was one of the first days we had the K running. Their kids were the first passengers. It looks as though they approved.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Rob,Good to see you back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

I've owned Quarter Horses and Tennessee Walking Horses and loved every minute of it. If I get another horse it would be a Fox Trotter.

I hope the horse is recovering OK I'm sure it bruised it's hoof. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

I mentioned that my grandfather farmed using horses until 1934 when one of the horses nearly killed him. That was my mother's father. My dad was raised by his grandparents on a cattle ranch in North Eastern Nevada. They used horses on the ranch until his grandfather passed away during WWII (just age). My dad, from a very young age, worked with, cared for, and used horses nearly every day until he was about 15 years old. By the time I was born, the ranch, the horses, everything was long gone. But he told me lots of stories about his years with horses and riding a horse over "every square mile of Elko county" as a kid. Even though we did not have any horses when I was a kid, we were occasionally around them with family and friends.
The first thing he taught me about horses, is that with them, someone must be the boss (it is about the herd animal instincts). If you are going to work or ride a horse, the horse will try to determine who will be the boss. From the first when you meet the horse, you should show confidence and take command (you can still be nice, affectionate, and caring). If you do not take charge from the beginning, the horse WILL try to take control and he/she WILL be in charge.

That is one wonderful car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Bess and Bell were on the farm after granddad died in about 1960 and if they did not do right,he would [dress them up]!! There was no water in his barn so after lunch it was my job to water the horses.I would un snap the halter on the first and do the second.The horses would wait for me outside of the barn and i would lead them to the wash tub outside of the house.When they had their fill,back to their stalls.Dinner was usually salt pork and fried potatos and he lived to 86!! Back then our manure loader was named Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Ouch! That had to hurt. Glad to hear you are recovering OK. It was a good thing that it was you that got kicked and not your wife or one of your girls. A few staples, scars, whatever are not going to make that head of yours look much worse. That would have been a disaster for one of your lovely ladies, however.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration