1915 Assembly Line Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1915 Assembly Line Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

I recently acquired a stereo view of the '15 assembly line photo, where the guy is installing a radiator on a chassis. It is an early view, as the cars still are using bulb horns. What I believe hasn't been noted is the steering columns are not painted, but I think they must be, and the column is wrapped in paper to prevent the horn bracket and tubing from scratching the paint. Being a stereo view, it is spectacular in 3-D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

Assembly line photo. I must have been looking out the wrong eye. What photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

The steering columns are wrapped in brown paper Larry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

1915 view

Appears to be a protective wrapper on the steering column tube.

In later production, think that brown paper wrapper became a cardboard tube, split for removal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Hate to be picky, but those look like crowned fenders and the car right behind it looks to have a black series radiator cowl. This would be '17 or later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Tim

Noted in the caption 'later production', this 2nd photo isn't 1915 but later, and the chassis have pressed steel running board braces, so dated after mid-year 1920 assembly line.

Just showing the different ways the painted steering column was protected before body drop. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Looks like oval gas tanks and certainly demountable wheels too. That looks like a metal firewall as well so, much later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

I think the first assembly line photo shows a wide-track car being assembled. Note the width of the rear fender and the distance between the spring perch and the yoke of the front axle.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:08 am:

Dan, yeah, later on I looked again and noticed that. My bad!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:29 am:

Another view showing the columns wrapped in paper at the HP assembly plant.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration