It's been a long time comming!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: It's been a long time comming!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

When i wanted my cateracts removed last winter the ins said they were not ready so natch do them this summer!! I think it's been 6 weeks since i have drove the 14 but it started easily and ran great!!I still need/want glasses for safty in the shop and reading.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Bud. When my grandpa had his removed he could see so well he said he was going to get his license back. My aunt protested as he was 79. I'm thinking he should have done it!

Just curious, do you find you need less light now? G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Good for you, Bud.

If you're like me, you will look back and say, "Now that I have something compare it with, my vision wasn't all that great before the surgery . Guess the cataracts slowly snuck up on me."

One thing I tell people is that the procedure is really a piece of cake. Don't fret over it and don't put it off. I'm not particularly fond of sitting still while somebody gets right down in my face, but the cataract procedure bothered me less than having a dentist clean my teeth.

Most people think they want 20-20 vision after the surgery. But that means you sacrifice your near vision in order to see perfectly at distance. I specified that I wanted to come out ever so slightly nearsighted. In optical terms, that meant I wanted to be about -3/4 diopter. At that point I can easily read the newspaper or computer without glasses, but still just pass my driver test without the glasses restriction. Outdoors, the bright light increases my depth of field to the point where I'm nearly 20-20 anyhow. Indoors, the distances are shorter and I don't ever notice the less than perfect distant vision. And it's great to not have to dig out my reading glasses whenever I need to look at the computer.

I have prescription glasses to bring me back to 20-20 for driving or any outdoor activity where I want the best possible vision. And I have a pair of mild drugstore reading glasses that I wear in the shop for protection.

Very happy with this combination.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Yes i will need even bifocals i think but i have wore glasses for 65 years so i'm
cool with it! I'm glad the Ford ran fine and now it needs washed and shined.I think if i had sprung for the top of the line lenses i could have did better but? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Glad to hear you are up and running again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:18 am:

I had the left side done a few years ago, and it was quite an improvement. The right one isn't bad enough yet. I see better than I did at 15, bit still need glasses.They sure don't come cheap. $367 for the new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:12 am:

What i hope to see now is everyone at the OCF!! My wife bought a 1.00 sheet of plastic at a dollar store and if i hold it at the right distance i can read!! Lizzie is still smooth as silk Joe.Steve,I could always see good enough to see your rear end change fixture bolted to your floor jack was a great idea,but now i see your name is Jelf rather than jeff?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:33 am:

I had my done in 2006. I spend the extra money for accommodating lenses. The muscles in the eye that were used to shape the original lens, move these lens forward and back to change focus. Hardly ever need to use cheaters (1.5 cheap reading glasses). But as Kenneth said, I have safety glasses everywhere in the shop. The restriction for these lenses is you must have little to no astigmatism.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Steve. Check out Zenni Optical on the net. I got my wife's last pair of bifocals for about $39 and she loves them (titanium frames). Single lens glasses are even cheaper. You will need a prescription.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:18 am:

John,Now i understand why the surgeon told me i did not need the expensive lenses.The Dr that did the exam told me i have M.D. and astigmatism,but i had no idea it was spelled with a-A!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:00 am:

I had the left eye done in 2004 and then the right in 2013 and recently a bit of Laser work on the left eye.
On the right eye they put in a "TORIC" lens. I just wish they would have had the "TORIC" in o4 as I can see much better with the right eye. Oh well at least I can see, and do everything I need to do.
Everyone have a great day, oh and we are not in a smokey area of California. Most of the fires are south and west and one is North east of us. We have had a few spot fires. We did have a girl that was arrested for setting either 12 or 14 fires, nothing big luckily, and to see her photo she has that wild look, but at least she is off the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Bud - We're looking forward to seeing you and Diane at the OCF. I'll save a space for you next to us in the '14 row.

Take care,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Keith,I'm kind of partial to those shade trees or within a short waddle!! We look forward to seeing you and Carol and so many others!!!!!!!!Bud & Diane in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Bud: My wife had her lenses replaced at 45 due to complications with diabetes. She went from "Coke bottle bottoms" to reading glasses and from having to have every light on in the room to having me install a dimmer in the living room. she says it only gets better... may your experience be as good as hers.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

When just about everything else is seizing up, breaking down or just plain refusing to co-operate, my eyesight is improving as I age.
I've worn glasses since I was about 26, but last year I did an eye test for a drivers licence. I passed easily and had the "drivers with compulsory eye ware" bit removed from the licence.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

A "Plug" for wearing glasses. This last weekend, I was under a friends model T making front end adjustments and some how a wrench slipped and hit my glasses. Lucky I was wearing glasses. The wrench put a nick right in the middle of the lens. The lens were plastic and did not break.
Besides providing better eye sight....wearing glasses can really be a good thing.
It was time anyway for an eye exam and new glasses. Had my exam yesterday and will get new glasses soon.
My Granddaughter (Age 10) went with me for my eye exam. The assistant had me read the eye chart on the merrier in front of me. After she left, my Granddaughter asked me to do it again. After I read the smallest letters from left to right....she said you get an "F"....you did it wrong! She was looking at the eye chart behind me and did not realize that what I was looking at was reversed from what she was looking at. A great lesson on Merrier image.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Rob,You threw me for a loop when you said improving with age! Just when i think everything is downhill i find now my shooting is dead on?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration