Got some painting done - 1909 Runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Got some painting done - 1909 Runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

I think it came out pretty well. It's for the 1909 my father and I are restoring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Looks super

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Very nice. Is the body all wood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

Thanks. Yes, it is all wood. I painted the seats and rear deck separately, but had to set it together just to see what it looks like. I also painted all of the top irons and bolts (all black) separately. We should get them installed tomorrow. Then we can put it on the chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Wow! Very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:01 am:

Chris,

It looks beautiful! What a great project to do with your father.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:53 am:

Are you associated in any way with the restoration school in McPherson? Nice looking project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:00 am:

Beautiful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Like!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Looks nice, Chris. Did you build the body there at the school? I don't remember seeing any pics of the chassis here on the forum. Since you and your Dad both have 10's and are now building an '09, will your next project be a Model S? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:51 am:

Chris,
Very nice. Please keep us posted, along with any information you would like to share. Thank you for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Thank you all.
Tim-yes, I teach at McPherson College. One of the perks is being able to use the equipment (like the paint booth) when classes are not in session.

Verne-just wait until you see what was just a pile of parts on the floor last time you saw it. It's been a busy few weeks.

Mike-No, it is a Ray Wells body. The chassis is done except for the engine and transmission. Those will be a winter project. You're right, we're gradually working our way backwards. I'd love to find an NRS project, but I'm afraid they've gotten out of my/our reach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Sweet !! I'd love to do a wood body like that some day. So far nutin but closed cars for me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieT on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Chris,
Beautiful job! Did you seal the wood with something to prevent moisture content changes and the resultant wood movement and paint cracking? What kind of primer and color coats did you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Chris, be sure to post some pictures once you mate that lovely body with the chassis. Looks like being a very nice car. Keep up the fine work and keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Warwick-we put the body on the chassis yesterday. I'll get some photos and post them soon.

First, it was sealed using the West System, then sprayed with a coat of epoxy sealer, then a couple coats of sandable primer. I then block sanded it mostly down to the epoxy, them another coat of epoxy primer (as a sealer). Then I sprayed several coats of gray. Then I taped off and sprayed the black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

It looks too nice to drive! Is your wife going to let you keep it in the living room when it's finished?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieT on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Chris, thanks. Your method is exactly what I was thinking of using to prepare a wood body for paint. I purchased a gallon of the West System epoxy but so far have only used it to seal the wood spoked wheels and it worked great.

A friend of ours, Peter Woyen, is using Smith and Company Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer from Restoration Supply Company and he showed me some wood sealed with it. This product seems to penetrate the wood much better than the West System Epoxy. Have you had and experience with the Smith product? I was so impressed with what Peter's wood looked like I thought I might try the Smith product rather than the West System Epoxy I have. What are your thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Verne-can you really imagine us parking it in the living room? It will be too much fun to drive!

Charlie- I am not familiar with Smith, but after doing a little research online, it sounds like a good product. We sealed the 1909 body with the West System several years ago. I'd strongly consider using Smith's on the next body or wheels. I like the idea that it is absorbed into the wood, especially if you are preserving original wood.

Besides, if Peter uses it, it must be good stuff!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration