Teardrop Spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Teardrop Spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Blankshain, Fountain Valley, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 02:34 am:

I'm having wheels made for my 1913 Model T Touring and was asked if I wanted oval or teardrop spokes. The Judging Guideline indicates oval. Looking at the various years, I don't see teardrop spokes being correct for any Model T. Are teardrop spokes correct for any Model T? Does anybody know anything about the use of teardrop spokes in general?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 04:06 am:

Teardrop spokes were commonly used on fancy carriages, and occasionally on early automobiles. I am not certain, but I think they may have been used on some 1909 and earlier Fords, but even those may have only been wheelwright replacements. 1913 would be an oval spoke, and not a thin oval. I think most pre Ts and up through 1910 mostly used a thinner oval.
Royce would know better than I.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:36 am:

We just had a new wheel made for #904 by Stutzmann. The original wheels are indeed teardrop in profile, as were all Model T wheels through 1913. The wheel spokes were very thin and delicate in 1909, gradually becoming thicker through the years.

904 still has three of its original wheels. The one we replaced (right front) was a later wheel with thicker teardrop shaped spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak, Chicago, IL area on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:59 am:

@Royce
"The original wheels are indeed teardrop in profile, as were all Model T wheels through 1913"

I'm mainly concerned with the 1911 model year. Your statement above differs from the online Encyclopedia, which says oval for 1911 (and "thin oval" for 09-10). Is your statement based on drawing reviews, etc.? I'm just wondering what is definitive, or is either oval or teardrop possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

My statement is based on owning a lot of Model T's and knowing when there is a mistake in the encyclopedia. My '12 had its original wheels when I bought it and they also were teardrop shaped. I took one of the wheels to Noah Stutzmann so he could duplicate the original spokes exactly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

My Aug 09 is considered to be an unrestored car and has teardrop spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

My May 09 has what I believe is one original wheel and my Dec 06 N has the original wheels (you can see the original pin-striping, although it is very faint. My question is can someone show the difference between teardrop and oval?
Thanks,
Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Tear drop cross section has the large side toward the axle:

Oval shape adopted in 1914 was quicker to assemble and cheaper to manufacture:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Thank you, Royce: I will give the wheels I have a close look.

Barry

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration