Spindles: Which side do they go on?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spindles: Which side do they go on?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:06 am:

I thought I had this right but for some reason keep questioning myself. Which spindle goes on which side. I have the spindle with the left hand thread on the passenger side and right hand thread on the drivers side. Is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:15 am:

That's correct for a US car with left hand steering :-)

Another way to verify you have the spindles right is to check the hole where the steering arm goes - it's beveled on the side where the arm goes in.

It's important the outer bearing on each side will want to unthread outwards when the car goes forwards - if it wants to tighten, it may crack the hub, should it ever get loose from the lock nut.

That's why Model T's shouldn't be towed in reverse with the rear end lifted - flatbed towing is preferred if it won't run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:19 am:

Paul, you are right, if your car is left hand drive!
A better way to phrase your question would be, "I have the spindle with the left hand thread on the right side and the right hand thread on the left side". That way there can be no confusion. The idea is that if things get loose, the bearing will wind off, rather than wind in and cause possible siezing and consequent damage to the spindle/and or disastrous failure.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

"That's correct for a US car with left hand steering"

and

"you are right, if your car is left hand drive!"

So, are there different spindles used on right hand drive Ts? I did not know that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Bill, see the first post - Paul only refers to the spindles as "drivers side" and "passenger side", so to make sense of the answer at this international Model T forum you must specify where the driver and passenger sits since it varies :-)

Sure the spindles are the same, but there is a difference in the tie rod, I think? ( I haven't studied RH steering T's in detail since none were sold here for some odd reason even though we drove on the LH side up until 1967??)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Forget about the threads and look where the arm goes in. The arm enters the spindle on the side with a bevel on the hole, this matches the fillet on the arm when it is fully in. The other end of the hole does not have the bevel because the nut must seat fully on the spindle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 01:53 am:

Another detail: the washer slot goes toward the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:38 am:

The spindles ID numbers which are stamped on the spindles indicate which are left and right.

You can find that information in Fords parts and chassis books.

Its been on several posts on the forum in the past.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration