O.T. Cakifornia fires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: O.T. Cakifornia fires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Hope the California folks are staying safe with there fire issues.
My daughter lives in Lakeport it looks bad there after seeing the fire report this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Hi Paul,
The fire situation in California is really sad! No water....our pine trees are dying. Have never seen it so dry here. Here in Fallbrook, we can only water two times a week. You will enjoy this....our water co. is going to raise our water rates 17%. The reason is.....we have done such a good job reducing water usage they are not making enough $$$'s now to cover expenses. How do you like that one....be happy you live in Org.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Can't wait to retire and move out of California. Still waiting for the mileage tax scheme to kick in. Not only do we already pay out the nose in gas tax and vehicle registration, now they are considering adding the mileage tax.

Regarding the water issue, how about Governor Brown put a moratorium on all new residential building. California is already overpopulated and exceeding the availability of our resources. Oh wait, that can't happen because it would mean no added revenue for the state and would likely increase the value of existing real estate. Instead, lets penalize people who have already gone to great lengths to reduce their water consumption by imposing a mandatory reduction on their current use and impose stiff penalties if they go over the already reduced usage.

Lastly, I'm still waiting for the power crisis excuse to also rear its ugly head once again. I know, someone has got to pay for those illegal Canadians right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Its raining here not hard but everything is green and growing. Town is full of campers and fishermen the Costco parking lot is full of Washington shoppers----no sales tax yet! It seems like half of Portland is here with idiots driving over the speed limit. With Home Depot, three auto parts and much more shopping within a mile of home think I will stay! About the only thing we need is a Chaffins out let here unless I give up Ts and start fishing. We get a ton of seafood with out owning a boat from the locals though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Any of those fires getting close to Atascadero, CA? I have a HCCA friend there named Jeff Beaumont. He keeps telling me how things are getting increasingly crazy there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Thanks Paul. You really know how to kick a guy when he's down. Six more years to go. Could not be soon enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Had a monster 'thunder-boomer' with hail move through here about an hour and a half ago. Almost 2" of rain... They pulled the PGA off the course over at Whistling Straights. Wish we could have it spread out a bit, maybe to even share some out west...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Mark, Feel free to pack up and head to lovely, well-watered northern WI. No water worries here! My lake is up almost a foot above normal. You can also visit the nice set of Model T wire wheels and hubs you sold me a couple years ago. Of course, there are those beastly cold winters...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Fires are horrible. The Soda fire here in Southwest corner of Idaho has already burned 265,000 acres. It is the biggest fire currently in the lower 48 states. Ranchers as well as wildlife affected. Then they talk about a super El Nino which makes the Northwest apt to be dryer again next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Marvin, agreed. Here in Alaska fires have burned over 5 million acres this year, the second most in any one year.
Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

George; haven't heard of anything significant in that area

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

The largest one in Califunny is actually two different fires that have joined. The second one was set by an illegal marijuana grower that illegally set backfires to protect his crop from the first one which was blowing in the other direction. They are between Clear Lake and Napa area.
Highway 20 was closed going by Clear Lake for two days because of the first fire.
Gotta love Califunny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Kevin, Glad to hear you are enjoying those wire wheels. Not sure I could handle the cold in your part of the country. Then again, it was 110 degrees here today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Layman on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 12:54 am:

not good at my house

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 03:07 am:

Oh shoot! I really don't know what to say.
We have not been hearing about Southern California much this year. Most years Southern California gets so much more wild fire than Northern California does that our news is filled with it most days. This is the worst year I can recall in a long time for Northern California. All our news is full of our half of the state.
We haven't heard the latest (I hope no news is good news), but a few days ago, one of my wife's cousins defied orders to evacuate his area near Hayfork CA and stayed to fight the fire entering his property. We are sure he is okay (we would have heard otherwise?), and at this point we can only hope he was able to save his house.
It is not worth much. But you have my sympathies.
Best of luck moving forward.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Our biggest issue here is a tsunami. My home is about fourteen feet above sea level. Its a proven fact that every three to five hundred years a tsunami hits starting four hundred miles off the coast moving at four hundred miles an hour in with an estimated thirty eight foot wall of water. Its been about three hundred fifty years since the last one.
Often thought about what is most important to save with a short time to leave, my bride and my critters are at the top of the list!
Looks like a roadster pickup in the picture David If that's your loss I am very sorry to see it.
Hope you are recovering well Wayne, I am doing well with my issue. Shot out thirty gallons of paint on the house and shop and am still painting trim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:45 am:

I guess this winter with freezing cold,snow,and ice i should be glad we are in fly over country!!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

David, what a heartbreaking picture! I am so sorry for your loss and wish you God's blessings in rebuilding your home and Model T. Keep us posted on the T rebuild and let the Forum community know if you need anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Linda talked to her dad this morning. He had spoken with her cousin. Her cousin, with the help of firefighters, did save his place.
Thanks need to go out to the many thousands of firefighters battling blazes all over the nation.
Wayne Sheldon

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration