Red Hot Voltage Regulator? What gives?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Red Hot Voltage Regulator? What gives?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Hey guys, a couple days ago my battery was stone dead in my '26 Coupe and had no idea why, so I charged it back up. Yesterday I took the car for a short spin and smelled a slight burning odor in the garage but couldn't locate the reason (thought it was new radiator paint).. this morning I found my new voltage cut-out to be red hot to the touch.

Any ideas what gives? Why would it get soo hot?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

The regulator is bad, putting a dead short on the battery . That is why its getting hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Okay, so it stuck on me. I tore it off and will invest in Regan's unit from Fun Projects. How can I test my generator to see if it got damaged?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

While we solved that issue- does this amount of gas from my sediment bowl look about right? I had a bit of fuel starvation yesterday and wanted to clear the flow.

https://youtu.be/WmfMiaTXN10

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

James,Take a piece of coat hanger about 10-12 inches long (straighten) and rod the sediment bowl from bottom to top with it. You should have full flow there,normally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Hey Jack,
I have a '26, when you say "rod" you mean unscrew the bottom brass plug and stick the wire up into it and then...I have a full gas tank so do I need to drain first? Not sure if you meant that.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

On a 26,drain tank,and remove sediment bowl.Snyder's sell a new filter for Model A that will replace your screen in the sediment bowl. Yours may be partially clogged. I think you will be much happier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

James that is slow compared to mine you can turn the valve off and remove the screen (bottom nut) and clean it without draining the tank if the valve is good :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Thanks GR and Jack, I was able to remove the bottom and the valve is good. I did that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 11:36 am:

" How can I test my generator to see if it got damaged?"

Remove the generator from the engine, connect to a 6 volt battery w/a couple of jumper wires. If it spins, it's operational.
But that doesn't mean that it's in good shape, just that it's operational.
If'n you're going to put a new FP VR on it, the generator should be gone through to make sure that it's 99 44/100% or better.
If'n it doesn't spin or just turns over slowly when connected to a battery I don't need to tell you what that means.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Thanks Ken- gotcha!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration