Starter Oil seal Mod.?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starter Oil seal Mod.?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

I want to add a oil seal to my starter. The info search links I find don't work. The vendors have several ways they cover this. What's the best method, one looks like a bushing, seal and heavy washer. The other uses a bushing, seal and bushing/thrust collar set up. Opinions? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

I've used the starter seal and bushing that Langs sells with good results on a couple of starters. I believe that is the second option you are referring to. But installation is best done by pressing the bushings and seal in and then carefully reaming to the correct size if necessary. I used an adjustable reamer to get that task done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/projects/engine/replacing_starter_seal/rightpage.h tm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Is lubricating the old original bushing material not a concern? I understand the modern material has self lubricating properties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

You would tear up the seal reaming with it in place. The style shown in Langs catalog looks to be brass not oillite material. The bushing is installed and reamed then the seal is installed on the armature end of the housing, a thrust washer is placed between the case and armature. You would get full oiling for the bushing because it is open to the transmission side, plus you would need to drill an oil hole as I recall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Mark, I probably wasn't specific enough. I install the long bushing and ream it to fit the shaft. Then ream the shorter thrust bushing the same. Then press in the oil seal and thrust bushing. So far the process has worked nicely and no leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

I did the same thing on the one I installed but not the next one. I made my own trying to keep the thrust end so I could press it back in. The reamed holes ended up being a little off in the final assembly. If I do it again, I will drill out the short end a little larger then needed for the shaft and just ream the main part of the bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 11:06 am:

I have been rebuilding Model T starters for 20 years, if anyone needs pointers let me know? I will warn you in advance, the difficult part is the required tooling to do the job correctly.
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Ron, what do you use to clean the oil out of the windings without damaging the insulation? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Pat
You will have to give me a call.
Ron Patterson
859-881-1677

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration