Flat Tire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Flat Tire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Today, I had a flat tire. Turns out that the stem valve was leaking. I pulled out the valve on my spare tube I carry and made the repair. On the way home I stopped and purchased some stem valves. The old valve from the 4.5x21 tube is rather long and has an external spring, which keeps the valve closed. The new valves, which may not work, are short and probably have an internal spring. I have not tried these short valves and am wondering if they will work. Anyone have any experience with these or must I get the longer replacement valve? Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Here's a picture of the two valves.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Mike: Years ago I worked at a tire shop and both style valves you describe were used interchangeably. I still have hand fulls of spare valves, both styles, and have never noticed a difference in their function.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Interesting. Tomorrow, when it stops raining, I'll try the short valve in the spare tube. Thanks Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

If you use Dyna-Beads, you need the long version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

The new short chinese valves ar'nt worth diddly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I don't know about Indiana, but around here you can't even give a diddly away.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration