Old Gas versus New

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Gas versus New
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

OK, so please forgive me, but I have an old Gas question, and I thought of you guys

I have an old Boat (1957) with a standard Round tank in it. Last time I used it was June of Last year (so just over a year ago). The boat was winterized and fuel additive (Sta-Bil) added. It has a 4 Cylinder Hercules Flat Head, like a Model T.

When I took the boat out today, I measured the tank (about 4 inches of fuel). I stopped and added 10 gallons, (for a total of about 12 inches give or take).

Went boating, and not longer after starting, the boat would periodically "Cough and spit" a little bit. Not stall, just cough and spit.. At first I was thinking "bad fuel", it will work itself out once the fuel bowl and pump and line (5 feet) are cleared.

an hour later it's still coughing and spitting!

So I idle around, periodically running her wide open (to empty the bilge) and then futz around for another hour.

Suddenly, I could hear a change in the tune of the engine (a change to the better) and she ran GREAT after that, like I'm used to hearing her.

So, I was pretty sure that bouncing around the lake all day would have 'mixed' the gas in the tank pretty well. But the above experience almost made me believe that the bad gas stayed on the bottom of the tank, and once it was finally depleted, the good gas took hold.

That sound right? doesn't seem right I don't think...

Again, my apologies if I'm posting incorrectly here. I just thought that almost all of us have dealt with bad gas once or twice... and we're all gear heads...so I value your opinions..

Thanks,

Doogie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 01:09 am:

Sticky valve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Sta-Bil or any gas preservative doesn't help if you have gas with ethanol in it. The ethanol will "spoil", gas gets cloudy and combines with moisture in the air, in less than a year. If you're going to store a boat or car for six months or more , either drain the tank or put non-ethanol gas in it with a stabilizer.

There's one old time radiator shop in town, and he tells me he does more work on gas tanks with gas gone bad than he does on radiators, he loves ethanol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 10:40 am:

I just started my dirt bike after a year of sitting with half tank of gas + Sta-Bil. It started on the fourth kick and ran great. I have had good luck with it and the new gas. You do need to do something to protect your equipment over winter. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 11:30 am:

If you had fuel from a year ago in the tank it's gas than contained Ethanol. It's old only because of it's age not "old style fuel" that didn't contain Ethanol. I'm pretty sure you either flushed out the lines/tank or possibly (as suggested) a sticky valve that freed up completely. As nothing on earth except possibly keeping fuel in an air tight container will preserve it (and I don't think that would work either) your only recourse, as it is with any seasonally used gas equipment, it to drain the tank and run the engine dry. If it ran when you drained it it'll run when you put fresh fuel in it. Guaranteed. Don't be fooled by additives. Most state they'll keep FRESH fuel fresh for any unrealistic amount of time they care to print on the label. So why drain then add fresh fuel and additive to your tank besides keeping them in business? Once it's drained leave it that way. Try stabil in your snow blower and see what happens if you don't get snow for 2 years or so. You'd better be familiar with carbs and fuel systems because you'll be cleaning yours out or hauling it to a repair shop before blowing any snow. I worked for 5 years at a small engine repair shop and while it didn't snow every one of those years when it did we were SWAMPED with no start snow blowers the next day. I'm talking literally 80 to 100 units. Why? Because they were left with fuel in them. "But I used stabil"! Heard it almost ever time. And you know what? Nearly every one of those talking chimps bought another bottle when they picked up their machines! No (not one) manufacturer recommends the use of this c**p because it does nothing except help empty that piece of dead cow in your left rear pocket and might even void the warranty. Yadda yadda yadda I started my whatever after 4 years with stabil and it ran great. Bunk. It wasn't because of any junk you added.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration