What kind of car is this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What kind of car is this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

If anybody can tell me the make of this car I would be very happy, thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Silver Ghost!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Cannot see the picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

almost Michael, maybe your not to far off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Can now. Looks English to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

I'm shocked. Is it an Austin? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Citroen Traction Avant

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

yea great, press one for English, try again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_Traction_Avant

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Bill H, can you tell me where it was built? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Citroen TA15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I got it figured out. It's a black car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I thank you very kindly! Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Two models oh that car were sold in the U.S.
One had hydraulic suspension that also powered the steering and the brakes.
The brake had no pedal, it was a small button that looked like an old starter button or dimmer switch.
ID19 and DS19
The 19 stood for. 19 hundred c.c. Engine.
Front wheel drive. Traction avant means front wheel drive in French.
They got very good gas mileage, even for a car that size.
I never liked them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 12:40 am:

The French mastered the art of making ugly cars from the earliest days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 12:41 am:

I used to drive the 22 model, great car, handled like a Ferrari--but a real pain to work on, hard to get parts, hard to get to parts (shields all around the engine, bottom pan under the engine). The Citroen 2CV looks like a VW bug made with flat panels, so ugly it's cute! Also very comfortable to sit in, but you'll get a ticket for going too slow on the Freeway in LA if it's full of 4 college students & you are flooring it! Only two cylinders, as I recall.
The hydraulic suspension is amazing too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 12:42 am:

Shitreon,made in France

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 01:29 am:

Citroen is the Apple computer of the auto industry. Does the same thing as any other car but with a different operating system. One needs to drive a car with a 4 speed manual transmission and no clutch at least once. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 03:25 am:

Burger, Yes, they did.

Bill, I have never known anyone with one well enough to have any first hand experience with them. But I would like to try one!

David D, There is no legal minimum speed on Califunny freeways. But they can give you a ticket for being a hazard to traffic at the officer's discretion (totally his opinion). There is also a minimum horsepower allowed on the freeway. Maybe that little 2CV was too low?

How long did Citroen make that general style anyway? They came in all sizes from David D's little car on up to limousines, and I think from the mid '30s until about 1960? They also built some very interesting (although ugly?) cars both large and small in the '10s and '20s.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 04:47 am:

There's one or two of them in my club.
The French did build some strange cars but their owners absolutely LOVE them...almost fanatically.
In this pic is one of the Citroen's in question and a little Renault 750. I once owned a 750 and loved it. I wish I had one now that I could enjoy and appreciate.
Both cars are well built, sturdy and especially the Renault....great fun to drive.
I find it interesting that the Citroen's grille looks very much like a '33-'34 Ford.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 05:53 am:

It's a Citroen Traction Avant Familiale. The nine seater version of the Traction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 08:22 am:

I still have my 1960 Renault 4CV (as it was called here in the USA). Sorry, no digital picture. Other than being painted white, it looks much like the red one in the picture above. Good, fun little car. Smaller than a VW bug. 39 MPG around town. I could, and sometimes would, hand crank the engine like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RerQj98QkrA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 08:23 am:

Looks like something that Adolf Hitler would've rode in. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Wow, thank you very much for all of the posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Never owned one of the larger CitroŽns, but have had three 2CVs in my life. This was the first in Paris in 1968. It was eight years old when I bought it for a thousand francs ($200 at the time). Had a centrifugal clutch, the wipers were driven by the speedometer cable and the gas was checked the same way it is in a Model T. Had to laugh years later when I bought a commercially-published owner's guide. The car had a two-cylinder engine, but the guide included a standard page of specifications. The firing order was dutifully listed as 1-2. Well, yeah. Duh... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Burger hit it on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Yes firing order for a 2CV is 1-2 and the two cylinders are firing together, there is only one coil connected to the two spark plugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

My wifeperson LOVES ugly, toady cars. If I hate it, she loves it ! Being a study of
architectural and commercial design, my eye goes to smooth and homogeneous elements
that work together for aesthetic balance. Proportion is everything !

For her, short and stubby, excessively tall for length or width is sure to curry favor.
I can *almost* get my head around the car in question until you look at the back 5-6
feet and the clusterschtuppe of rear axle overhang, door location, and WTF was someone
thinking with the shape of the rear side window ???

... it looks as if some handcrafted the graft of an entirely different car onto the back to
repair some major collision damage.

But that is the French aesthetic. They seem fond of a rear axle positioned directly under
the rear bumper and cars sculpted to have a fish-like appearance,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 01:27 am:

Wayne,
I never owned one, but the Station wagon was the "shop car" and so drove it a lot and also repaired it some. (although it was rather reliable). Have some stories I could tell too--If you don't latch the hood properly, it can fly up and block ALL your vision!
the 2CV freeway adventure was in my biology Professor's car and I was just a passenger, but we were warned off the freeway, 45 mph just wasn't fast enough for the CHP officer.
Burger, your comment reminds me of the story of the "Tragedy of Canada" With the three groups living there, they could have had British Culture, French Cuisine, and American Technology. Instead they got British Cuisine, American Culture, and French Technology! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

The Traction Avants were the only cars I ever changed front brake pads on from under the hood.
They had inboard brakes right up next to the differential. After removing some clips you could pull the pads straight up out of the calipers without removing the calipers, like a Jag or MG.

People who owned them would say, "When I'm driving quietly at 60 MPH on hydraulic suspension steering it with power steering through my one spoke steering wheel getting 30 plus miles per gallon do you really think I care what everybody else thinks of how it looks?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Aaron, ... I guess that would be my point .... if a firm can go to such lengths for
mechanical design, how can they go so far afield with aesthetics ?

I had a girlfriend, whose parents were all about Citroens. They had a dozen of
them, and could rave to the moon about how awesome they were .... all on the
driving/mechanical side. All I could ever say was they looked like a suppository
or perhaps a garden slug.

As the saying goes, ... "You can't polish a turd."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

You can drive them over rough roads and not feels it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration