Not an ammeter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Not an ammeter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Hi working on a 26 snowmobile for a guy putting an engine
In replacing the wiring mounting tires and such.
Instead of an ammeter it has what looks like a rectifier
Will this be ok or should I put in an ammeter?
Thanks Jim
Not an ammeter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Hi Jim,

That is the dimmer coil for the magneto powered headlights used on the non-generator cars.

Yes, you can remove that and install an ammeter with the proper wiring harness.

Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Forgot to mention original motor had a starter but no generator
I thought that was odd . But it will now have starter and generator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Jim, As Bill stated, it is the headlight dimmer coil for use on non starter equipped cars. If you switch to a starter/generator, you will need the ammeter. If you decide to sell the dimmer coil. Ill be interested to have it for my 1926 Non Starter car I am working on. When you unhook it please mark the wires as to the screw location they came off of. It sure makes it easier later for whoever is the next guy trying to hook it back up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration