OT Kinda

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Kinda
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

This is about trailer lights as I try to get my trailer ready for the Michigan Jamboree of Ts and, frankly, I may have done a dumb thing, which is not unusual.

The lights on my trailer work. They are the round kind with two wires coming out of the back. I'm trying to install extra lights for safety. I disconnected the drivers side taillight -- the light with the license light -- to tap into those two wires for the new, extra lights. But now, although the original light lights, there is no function to the light: no turn signal, no brake light. It just lights. It's brighter on one wire than the other. Now, before I disconnected the wires from the existing light, it worked fine!

I freely admit I know nothing about wiring or electricity. I thought it would be a simple matter of tapping into the wires.

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. We're trying to leave Tuesday morning for the Jamboree so, as you can see, my time is limited.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Marty One of the two wires in the original light is for the taillight. The other is for the brake and turn signal. If you tapped into BOTH wires the light you are trying to add will NOT work.
You need to tap into the wire that is for the taillight with one wire on your new light and GROUND the second wire on your NEW light. By ground I mean bolt or screw it to the metal frame of your trailer.
The original tight on your trailer might not have a separate ground wire on it, and is relying on the bolt that hold it to the trailer to ground it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:57 am:

Bill, thanks for the response. That helped and all lights are working they way they are supposed to!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Glad to be of help :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration