Carb mixture rod--can't install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Carb mixture rod--can't install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 09:35 am:

What am I missing? I bought a mixture control rod for my low steel firewall (1923) vehicle. The proper hole it is supposed to go into (verified through pictures on this forum), I can not possibly get it through there. I don't really want to--nor feel that I should have to elongate the hole in the firewall more to get it through. So is there a trick to getting this thing in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Not seeing what you have, but does the rod have a round knob on the cab end that can be removed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Chad, I've had the exact same issue, and here is what I found:

The vendors sell (2) rods, the common replacement style with a "triangle" formed at the top, the other with a "T" shaped top. I'm going from memory, but the "T" shaped is marketed as the correct one. I haven't verified that at the BFRC though.

The "T" shaped one will fit through the short slot in the steel firewall, if one side of the "T" is fitted thru first. The carb rod may even have to be pointing up at that point. Once one side is thru, the rod can be rotated down and in.

The "triangle" shaped rod will not fit thru the hole without either bending or shortening the last leg of the triangle.

If you have the reproduction "triangle" shaped rod, I would recommend modifying the rod or getting the correct one, and agree with you that modifying the firewall isn't the right course of action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Ahhh,......memory...at my age depends on when I learned something, but have done it with a low rad/steel firewall machine...something tells me it goes in from the cockpit side???

Maybe straight horizontal and only then tilt it up, draw it back, and slide the tines in the carb???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:25 am:

There was a thread on this a couple of months ago.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/550630.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Tim, I knew not having pics would be an issue, just Sunday morning laziness thinking about things.

David, I believe you hit the nail on the head though. I went back to look at what I actually ordered. I did not order the original style. I did order the cheaper "triangle" one to keep things cheap (this is on my '23 doodlebug).

That being the case, I will modify the head of the cheap rod I have to fit the slot. I guess in the grand scheme of things, that $8 I saved would have been worth it compared to my time to fix this to fit now. That particular order was large and a lot of money so I was trying to save and cut corners--it bit me in the end.

Ken, good search. I though I had read a recent thread on this but could not find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve johnson on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

I have straightened one end somewhat so it would go thru and then bent it back after it passes thru firewall.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration