Old Photo - Model T Era - St. Louis Motordrome 9/6/14

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Model T Era - St. Louis Motordrome 9/6/14
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dustin Layne on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

That looks fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

That appears to be a board track. There was one in Salem, NH called Rockingham Park. It later became a horse racing track. I'm pretty sure that it is a shopping mall now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

I could run my Speedster on that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Oh, for a real time machine! That would be so much fun.
Board tracks were a short-lived fad. Some promoters went around the country for a couple years raising funds and building them. Then got out of the business before the wood being beaten up by racing tires deteriorated enough to require regular maintenance. Soon thereafter, the tracks became dangerous because of chunks and splinters of wood being kicked out and hitting drivers and mechanics. When people realized how much it was going to cost to maintain the tracks, they were mostly abandoned and deteriorated very quickly. Many were torn down and replaced with simple dirt tracks with only slight embankment. Racing speeds were slower, but still fun.
Great photo! Thank you Jay.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

Was that steep bank for cars or cycles?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

http://www.distilledhistory.com/motordrome/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

I have seen footage (videos) of cars on tracks banked like that. But motorcycles and cars often raced (usually separately, but sometimes even together) on the same tracks. Motorcycles also were often raced on smaller tracks made especially for them.

Over 40 years ago now, I was fortunate enough to participate in model T dirt track race reenactments that were held for four years. They were held on a full (over?) half mile dirt race track. It was the most fun I ever had in my life. Ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

I remember reading an account about being able to tell a driver who ran the boards often by his pock marked face. It was said the splinters would enter the face and act like hollow points when they hit the bone! Not for timid folks.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Mark, to add to the "small world," did you notice that the St. Louis Motordrome was at the corner of Grand and Meramec, diagonally across the intersection from the Feasting Fox? (The Model T Ford Club of Grater St. Louis meets monthly at the Feasting Fox, for you non-St. Louisans.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:58 am:

(...or "Greater," if you prefer. :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:59 am:

The steep angle of 62.5 degrees at the St. Louis drome looks crazy - well, the motorcycles they raced back then seems crazy too without brakes or throttle, just a kill switch - but they're crazy cool looking too :-)

cyclone

Few moving images of the board track racing days survive - this is an exception, from a larger board track in Daytona, Fl in 1920:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-9w7f7c60

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Yes Dick, I saw the reference to the location across from the Feasting Fox, I'll have to make it up there some day for a meeting.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:22 am:

This picture seems if only to me much to steep for cars,and i wonder how riders were positioned at the start of the race?? Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration