Holley NH Straight Through - Differences

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Holley NH Straight Through - Differences
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

I found two Holley NH Straight Through Carb bodies and would like to know the differences. I have attached some pictures (not very good ones).
One body has a threaded hole by the nameplate. What type plug goes in this hole?
Holley NH 1
Holley NH 2
Holley NH 3

Is one for 26-27 and one earlier? Are there parts that are unique to these carbs? Bowls of a different shape? Needle valves of different length like Simmons?

I will be happy to post other pictures if needed. I did a search but may not have used the appropriate search words.

Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Dennis, NH straight through carbs were only factory equipment in the early 20's (1920-21, I think). They wouldn't have come on a 1926, even a pre-vaporizer car. I couldn't see the tag plainly on the one on top, but both tags appear to say Holley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Micol zabala on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Dennis to answer your question a brass screw goes into the air bleed that you were asking about .I attached a link where they talk about it on the forum. As for the differences I believe the one on the right is the earliest version of the 1920 nh and sometime later they changed the design a little and moved the id plate to cover the air bleed. Someone smarter than me will probably tell you when. The throttle and choke arms were originally cast brass so those must have been changed out through the years. Hope I helped.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/144579.html?1276106377.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart. Bakersfield, Calif. on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

That's great information. I love learning something new every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:18 am:

Further to Micol's post, the brass screw is a hex piece, drilled from the bottom and through the sides to act as a vent piece. The later version puts the plate over the vent hole, cheaper to produce. On our Canadian sourced cars I have found cast steel choke arms on the earlier type, but not brass ones.

Yours may vary.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 01:55 am:

My '21 Canadian built car has a straight through fitted and has been on the car from new. It has steel choke and throttle arms and I'm 99% certain they haven't been changed.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:29 am:

I think the throttle and choke arms may be a carry over from the G.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Someone may have mentioned this before, but notice how straight through carburetors tags seem to be upside-down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Tom, interesting observation.

The link posted above by Micol shows an ad from Oct 1921 with a side drain bowl. The diagrams posted by Martin Vowell http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/535364.html?1429643760 show a center drain starting in 1920.

Did Holley produce two designs of the NH - sway back and straight through - for several years, and if so, for what period of time? Would they have used both a center drain and a side drain bowl during the same time frame?

Does anyone have a clear picture of the air bleed screw or know where I can get one?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration