Another T Crash

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another T Crash
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Driver and passenger not seriously hurt. Hit by someone that was texting. This happened in our area. No skid marks, just plowed right into them. One reason we try to travel back roads with less traffic, even then you have to have eyes in back of your head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Ouch. I hate drivers that text. Its as bad as driving drunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

What a shame. Hope occupants weren't seriously hurt and other driver gets just punishment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Where was this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Fulton, NY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Dan, I'm trying to learn something here. Why do folks keep their location secret?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

That's repairable.

There is no excuse for the texting driver.
They should be charged with attacking with a deadly weapon and jailed for at least 150 years.
Mistakes I can understand but stupidity and arrogance needs to be addressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

As the saying goes, "You can't fix stupid".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

In the last week, I've seen at least a dozen "texters" going the opposite way of me. About a third of them even had the passenger texting at the same time...I could tell easily by the fact that both their heads were pointing downward, almost like you see when someone's dozing off! Just tonight I was making my way home in my '20 Roadster, just before dusk, when here comes another car with young people in it, BOTH texting same time. They didn't have a clue I went past them the other way! At least if a passenger isn't texting, then maybe that person can scream to the driver before a wreck occurs.

Folks, this texting thing is out of control. It's getting WORSE, despite all the ads on TV, billboards, etc. to STOP TEXTING. One of these days an entire family is going to get wiped off the face of the earth because of these assholes who think of only themselves and their texting buddies.

Someone needs to come up with an APP that when you're in your car driving, texting is disabled unless the car is in PARK....that way you can at least text from your car in an emergency, but you're gonna have to be stopped in order to do so.

Just my pissed off two cents worth. That accident above should never have happened. It's a wonder someone wasn't killed. Damn I'm pissed!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Texting should carry same penalty as driving drunk
Sorry see and hear of this and glad to know t folks will be ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Tim, why not tie the cell phone into the GPS. When the car is moving texting (and the rest if the phone) is disabled. Here in California texting while driving carrys a good sized fine, as does talking on the phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

The only way to stop texting is the same way they went after drunk drivers and that is to make the phone company partly at fault. If w person gets into an accident or ticketed for texting while driving, their name needs to be entered into a data base and then if a phone company sells them a phone, or a friend loans them a phone, then they would be liable like a bartender that serves someone who they know will be driving. These people have no fear of loosing their live, but if they know they will loose their phone, it might make an impact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

I am glad that the model T people apparently will be okay.
But yes, this whole texting thing makes me so very angry!!!!!
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

It is hard to see a billboard telling you not to text and drive with your head turned down.
Neighbors daughter came up to see her mother for the day Friday and honestly I don't think she looked at her mother more than 2 seconds the whole day.The 15 year old had her head down clicing on a Iphone thing. She was complaining of being bored. I told her straight up,"There is a big world out here around you, look at it and get your head out of that little box". She just shrugged me off as a eccentric idiot. She was talking about how in a year she would be driving and so forth. I told her mother later that she wont be driving long with her head in that phone.

Perhaps build a app in the phone that when you are in a car it shows the road in front of you on the right side of the screen?
With all the tech out there now, there is no reason why a cell phone cant be made non functional in a car that is moving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Even if texting was the cause of this crash,i think people being inconsiderate and dumb is worse?? Go for a walk down a country road and see if anyone slows or gives you any room?? Drive on the highway where a car or truck is stopped and will anyone switch lanes for safety?? Drive at the speed limit and how far will you get before someone has to tailgate you?? When i mow my lawn i stop when someone drives by to avoid throwing a stone,but will they slow to under 50 on gravel when they they drive by?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Some people just need to be dead. Plain and simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieT on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Texting is worse than drunk driving. When a person is driving drunk they usually know they are driving drunk and at least try to avoid being in a accident or getting caught. A texting driver is totally distracted and has no idea what he or she is doing. I know of three young people from our city who were killed as a result of trying to text and drive at the same time. Fortunately, the accidents were single vehicle accidents and no one else was killed or hurt. It's really sad to loose three young people this way and so unnecessary. The penalty for distracted driving should be higher than that for drunk driving as most drunks are at least trying to avoid an accident. Most cell phones now have a GPS app and that could be used to make the phone inoperable when the phone is in motion. That might work, but then any passengers would not be able to use their phones when a vehicle was in motion either. Maybe there is a better solution, I don't know. What I do know is that I'm afraid of getting hit by a distracted driver and try to watch for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

First, I am glad there were no fatalities. Evan at that the victims here are in for a long chain of hassles.

Sentences should be able to include loss of phone service. Most young people would die if they didn't have a phone for a year.

Problem solved.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:12 am:

If these texting idiots only killed themselves, I'd be all for it !

It is the rest of us that are put in peril's path that make this an issue.

Just yesterday, I was helping a friend move. As I backed into his driveway, several
cars were stopped until I cleared the street. Just as we got out of the way, I heard
that familiar crunch of metal. Shur-nuff ! .... a pretty red rice rocket had plowed into
the back of a Jeep. Today, I met up with my friend for another load and he informed
me the driver was cited for texting as the cause of the accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:50 am:

When in Arizona last month I was told that it is legal to text while driving as well as talk on the phone while driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:52 am:

My wreck in late January where I was hit from behind while I was stopped waiting for a train to pass along with 10 or 12 other cars, taillights on, foot on the brake, brake lights on etc. College guy slammed in to me from behind. I'm sure he was texting, he still had his phone in his hand when he got out of the car.

Not too off topic, my Subaru had about 3,500 worth of damage including about 1,000 to the trailer hitch and mounts. His Nissan Altima was totalled. I drove mine for a month before I could get it in to the body shop, they hauled his Nissan away on a truck. Subaru's are tough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 04:12 am:

Here in Holland when you are texting or you have your phone in your hand while driving and the police see it you get a fine of 230.00 Euro that is about 255.00 Dollar
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 05:10 am:

I just don't feel the need to be that connected, in fact al lot of times I leave my phone somewhere where I can't hear it or (Gasp) even turn it off... sometimes I don't want to be bothered! Lately I have even seen some !@#@^@% "telemarketing text" what next. I've heard the arguments against having cell phone blocking devices in cars (What if there is an emergency?) they don't hold water what did we do before cell phones...If the wreck was that bad someone else would call the police / ambulance, same thing now if you are texting and cause an accident most likely you won't be the one calling for help it will be a witness to your stupidity!:-( I'll get off my soapbox now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 05:37 am:

Dan,

Thank you for posting the information. I'm glad the T folks will apparently be ok.

If you have a chance would you please confirm which side (front, rear, etc) of the T the texting driver hit? Also did the T stay upright during the accident?

I know many folks are trying to figure out how to minimize the problem of texting drivers. And I fully support those efforts. I'm trying to research Model T accidents in the hopes of finding out some way or ways to help make the T's a little safer.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 07:01 am:

I hate texting drivers! I just Friday chastized my wife's best friend for it while Ii was in the car. I also told my wife I refuse to ride in the car with her again, period.
I think what someone should do is make an ap that is installed in ALL mobile phones that would disable any and all features except 911 of the phone when traveling more than 10 MPH. This could be done by accessing the GPS of the phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 07:09 am:

This is why I will not go on T tours in or around big cities. It is bad enough out in the country.
RW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 07:59 am:

Those folks are lucky they survived.

Distracted Drivers + Higher Speed Limits = Increased Fatalities

Distracted Drivers ...

That includes folks texting - talking on the phone - putting on makeup - talking to passengers etc...

Saw a guy early morning in New Hampshire years ago shaving in his car while driving right at me - shaving with a razor & shave cream using his rear view mirror.

I managed to catch his attention in time & avert a head on collision.

With increased speed limits there is less time to react in an emergency situation - more dire consequences.

Folks need to be educated.

Fines need to be increased significantly.

Serious injuries & deaths as a result need to be dealt with more harshly.

A somewhat successful campaign to protect construction zone workers is ongoing in every state I drive thru - injure or kill a construction worker and you lose your license & go to jail.

Human nature is such that the general population only reacts to a hit in the wallet ore a loss of personal mobility and/or freedom.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:06 am:

In Arizona - only if you drive a school bus are you prohibited from using a cell phone to talk or text.

That is seriously ______________ (fill in the blank with your own expletive) ...

State by state texting & talking cell phone laws as of July 2015 ...

@ http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/cellular-phone-use-and-texting-while -driving-laws.aspx

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:08 am:

Enough to make a grown man cry. When I was a cop
(retired) I never was a ticket writer, but I don't
believe in accidents, the nut behind the wheel does.
100% of my accidents always got a citation. I have
always been a car guy and one involved with a
antique or classic like this post, the subject
better tighten their seat belt, cause one does not
know the power of the ink pen. We (cops) have the
ability to throw the book at you. And then when I
was the sgt. there was no such thing as texing,
best we had was a beeper, remember those.
Now my question? My son bought me one of those
new unfriendly phones which can text. OK so how
in hell do I text like a typewriter with those
so small buttons? Not while driving but sitting
down. I cant even call a phone no. glasses on
and I still hit two buttons. I'm not blowin steam but I see all kids a clickin away, small fingers I guess. Boy I pray when I go to heaven there
will be phone booths free air and water gas pumps with real dials ugg. you all saw my lost radiator vent tube post. No panic no phone so, you knock
on somebody's door use their phone call wife for
water, was that hard? no- bottom line I drove 50 yrs no phones no nothing with no problem. Now
they got phones stuck in their ears like some kind
of ceo executives when all this high tech junk crashes I'll be happy. People are relying too much on this, so use to it, when a crash, they are crashed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:13 am:

Maine has a Distracted Driver Law that addresses electronic device & cell phone use:

@ http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_124th/billpdfs/SP001501.pdf

This should be enacted in all states but with the addition of harsher penalties and higher fines.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:22 am:

For those who do not want to click on the link shown:

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

Sec. 1. 29-A MRSA 2117 is enacted to read:

2117. Driving while distracted

1. Definitions. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise indicates,
the following terms have the following meanings.

A. "Distracted" means engaging in an activity that impairs the operator's ability to drive, including, but not limited to,
using an electronic device, applying cosmetics or performing personal grooming with any device.

B. "Electronic device" means any handheld device that is not part of
the operating equipment of the motor vehicle,
including but not limited to an electronic game, device for sending or receiving
electronic mail, text messaging device or computer.

C. "Using" means manipulating, watching, talking into or otherwise interacting with an electronic
device but does not include passively listening to music or other recorded sounds emanating from
the electronic device.

2. Prohibition. A person may not operate a motor vehicle while distracted.

3. Exception. This section does not apply to the use of a cellular telephone or a global positioning system.

4. Penalty. A person who violates this section commits a traffic infraction for which a fine of not less than $50
for the first offense and not less than $250 for a 2nd or subsequent offense may be adjudged.

5. Rules. The department may adopt rules to implement this section. Rules adopted pursuant to
this section are routine technical rules as defined in Title 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A.

SUMMARY

This bill makes driving while distracted a moving violation.
It prohibits engaging in an activity that impairs the driver's ability to drive.
It also allows the Department of Transportation to adopt rules.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Hal, you're onto something there, about tying the GPS into the car, which nowadays are all full of electronic gadgets. That's in the order of what I was thinking, I'm just not techie enough to figure out how to do it. I know it can be done. Unfortunately, as much as we all hate to see yet another law enacted, this would be one well worth it. We need a law requiring all phone/auto manufacturers to sync up (hows that for tech talk!) the phone to the car to disable the text feature. I'm sure it can be done. We now need to slam our wonderful legislators with demands to force it into happening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Hap, I don't have any additional information at this time. Apparently it wasn't important enough to make the local news. The picture and information that I posted was from a friend that was there when it happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:58 am:

Fines and laws will not stop the morons because they are just that! The technology exists to shut off phones and other calling and texting devices once they are moving at more than the speed of a walk and we all need to force our legislators to make that technology mandatory. What I don't understand is why the insurance industry with the huge lobby they have is not pushing for this. I guess it is just easier for them to raise our rates to cover the losses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 09:08 am:

There's a glimmer of good news about driving texters. More and more police are beginning to check with the cell companies to see if the drivers were texting or talking on the cell phone.

With that info, lets hope the judge throws the book at them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 09:23 am:

In the little country we live in there is no cell phone use while driving, period. And the police here don't issue citations, you go directly to jail till a judge is ready to hear your case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 09:27 am:

Only 1 problem with the distracted driving laws.They don't apply to law enforcement.
I was ran slap off the road by a deputy that was looking down toward the middle of the car punching his laptop about 12 years ago.
My ankle was twisted because when i slipped and fell on the ice 1 night the state trooper that called me out there was busy on the radio and didn't see me.I was lucky I did get my leg pulled back in time.
Distracted driving is the same regardless of who is doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Its dangerous when you drive a vehicle that has a top speed of around 30MPH (maybe), no real brakes, in and around cities where you will have more texters and non observant drivers. I trust what I do and its the other folks I worry about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:14 am:

News Flash!! It was not the model T's fault!! I usually do not give out my cell number but it's BR549 and it's the Amish network. In the early cell phones i used to love it with the T running! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:35 am:

I guess it's almost like when I was 14 and wanted a motorcycle. That didn't sit well with Dad being a State Trooper! He said son it's not you I am worried about it's all those other people that seem to believe they have a contract on your life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Yup, This kind of behavior is a fact of life these days on the highway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 11:19 am:

The Washington State Supreme Court has levied a daily fine of $100,000
upon the State legislature for every day they do not have funding in place
for the State school system. Most folks hear that fine and think that will get
those folks motivated. If one reads a little deeper, it is revealed that the State
is fining the State, and that it is nothing more than a shell game of taxpayer
money and the legislators bear no weight in this smoke-and-mirrors stage
show.

Make the actual legislators shoulder a $100K daily fine and this school
funding issue will be over and done with last week !

Same goes for willful negligence. Of course, some morons you'll NEVER
reach. But the majority will get the message real quick when the pain of
responsibility for willful negligence causes lifelong hardship for the moron.
But that just ain't how our system works. Currently our President wants the
Justice Dept. to reduce all sorts of sentencing laws that he feels are "excessive"
for the crime.

All I can think is ..... were these breakers of existing laws utterly unaware of
the laws they were breaking at the time they were breaking them ??? Or is this
just another case of SOME people get to do whatever they please, with no real
consequences thrown at them, while the public at large pays a heavy price if
they are unlucky to cross paths with these narcissist/sociopath/psychopath
types ???

It is a direct parallel to the driving while distracted issue. I guess the real question
is, can humans actually be made/forced/penalized into taking personal responsibility ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 11:52 am:

I was rear ended at an blind intersection by a guy talking on his brick phone. I pulled ahead to see around the embankment and boom! Still had the phone in his hand when he got out of his pu. (Brick phone, tells you how long ago that was!)

In Oregon it is illegal to text or use phone by EVERYONE but emergency personal when driving. The number of people including older drivers that should know better but don't bother to completely stop at STOP signs..:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Not so sure you can really say they were OK when it looks like they may have hit the ground or something inside the car. I glad they did survive with only some minor injuries.

Might be feeling pretty bad today. Thankfully they survived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

I agree that you shouldn't text and drive, but you guys that think they should make cell phones not text if they are moving down the road are short sighted. I know at least one person above has already said it, but if you do that, THEN EVEN THE PASSENGER cannot text while riding in a car. Why should THE PASSENGER not be able to text while someone else drives? Think about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Jim, that law reads good until you get to item 3: Exemptions where it lists cell phones and GPS systems! So technically the law doesn't apply to Cell phone usage????
And I agree, texting while driving should have greater penalties than drunk driving. "Use a Text; lose your license!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

To exempt GPS systems is stupid, that is the same as saying it is OK to have a map spread on the steering wheel blocking the view of the road.
People who text and drive think they can do so safer than a drink, but the brain helps a drunk function in an emergency by focusing all the effort to the most important thing at hand, with a texter it is the same, but the most important thing for them is the phone, and they will focus all their attention to the phone when something happens, even people talking on the phone with not drop the phone when there is trouble because the brain has been conditioned that the connection is more important than the operation of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

We have made some crucial mistakes in punishment in my opinion. Whoever came up with "The punishment should fit the crime" got us off on the wrong foot. I learned at an early age that a fib to ones parents met with way more severity than I ever dreamed of so none of us needed a second chance on that one. As a society we should make the punishment worse than the crime if we are serious about needing fewer prisons in the future. We make the outcome of the crime to have way more weight than it deserves when determining punishment. If someone aims a gun at someone with the deliberate objective being to take that person's life then the sentence received should not vary by how good the shooter's aim was. Today if someone drives under the influence they get a pass until they kill somebody and with a good lawyer they get off pretty softly even on that score. Stiff laws are useless unless enforced. We replace weak laws with stiff laws that we then don't enforce. We all want stiff sentences until it is one of our own family that is charged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

John I agree that is the major fly in the ointment of our legal system, How do you tell a juror to ignore the thought "There, but for the grace of God go I"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

John R, you are spot on. Maybe folks remember 15-20 years ago an American kid in Singapore who vandalized a car with spray paint. They caned him, 5 strokes.

I promise today when he hears the marble in a can of spray paint he gets nervous and probably runs in the other direction! I would bet money that he won't do that again (in Singapore).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

I received this from the owners sister:

First, both my brother & sister are ok, thank God, he only had a couple bruises, she ended up with lots of cuts scrapes and bruises but nothing broken.

They were hit from behind, in the right rear corner, which shoved them into the south lane and a second truck hit them, spinning the truck and tossing them. The truck stayed upright!

Matt hopes to rebuild. It's a 1923 Ford TT, he had it in the Hannibal parade on Thursday. Such a shame.

Thanks for posting the thread, so far that's the most upsetting pic, with my sister on the backboard on the ground. My brother's the guy reaching in the TT, shutting the fuel off.

We were told the woman was texting but it wasn't noted in the initial police report.

The SUV in the pic is the one that hit them, the bed went right up over the roof of her car. The other is a more cleaned up accident pic. The last was taken Memorial Day this year, just before he drove in the Phoenix parade.

We hope to rebuild, it's such a shame to lose a piece of history to an idiot on her phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

I think the people in the TT were lucky that truck bed went up instead of forward!!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

That's a chilling thought Bud. But you're 100% correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

There are more collisions than we read about on this forum.
I was told that a couple got rear-ended on a busy highway near Springfield, MO immediately after the Branson Tour last month.

Anyone have details on this accident?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

John, I also would like to know being I was on that tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

I'm sorry to read about this accident. I can't help but notice the likelihood that this is once again a Model T traveling slower than the posted speed limit and being hit from behind. In today's traffic brakes aren't the only thing to be worried about while driving a Model T on public roads. I hope the best for the Model T and its occupants, a sad situation indeed. Keep on touring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

People seem to lose site of the fact that the posted speed limit is just that, the upper limit, not a mandate. These such collisions are totally preventable if drivers would drive with their eyes open and brains engaged to the task of driving properly and safely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Hal, I understand your point about passengers not being able to text and talk on their phones when the car is moving but frankly I doubt that people really have that much of importance to say that their inconvenience outweighs the safety issue. Everyone seems to forget that we all survived just fine without the instant gratification of being able to engage in endless, mindless conversation whenever we feel the need. If it's that important pull over and make the call or send the text. In a perfect world people obey the law and you don't need to do things like deactivate their phones when they are in a car but this world is far from perfect. Just this morning there was a piece on the news that accidents are up more than 35% and they were at a loss to explain why. I don't think it's a big mystery. Public safety has to trump convenience and we are not just talking about safety as it relates to our antique cars. Some idiot on a cell phone or texting can just as easily kill you in you nice new car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

There is more to this than meets the eye. I've read studies about farm tractors that get rear ended by cars on highways. Apparently according to these studies, the people in the cars "just didn't see the tractor" until it was too late. In other words, there is some psychological "thing" that causes certain people (maybe all people) from recognizing a tractor (or any thing not shaped like a conventional car, such as buggies, motorcycles, and presumably old cars) as an object on the highway.

I have noticed this in my extensive driving of Model T's. I periodically get run off the road. I've had folks pull into my lane just as if I weren't there - far more often than with my modern car. I've driven on lawns and sidewalks to avoid accidents. As far as I'm concerned, it goes with the territory. If I am going to drive a T regularly, I'm going to effectively be invisible at times.

As such, I drive accordingly. When I am on the highways I drive as close to the speed limit as I can. When I can't, I keep one eye in the rear view mirror and pull over if someone approaches me too fast. In city traffic I always try to have an "out". When I get boxed in I get real nervous real fast and don't get un-nervous until I establish my "out".

These "rear-end" accidents happen over and over - almost always (perhaps always?) the rear-ender's fault - but, there are things that you can do to as a T driver to mitigate the situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

In Washington, it is illegal to talk on hand held cell phone when driving. The other day this guy in front of me was making a left turn into a business while talking on the phone. It irked me so I honked at him. Scared him to death. He abandoned the turn and drove to the end of the block and then turned. Just shows that he KNEW he was distracted and couldn't tell what was happening around him. I think we should all start honking when we see a driver on the phone or texting. If for no other reason to let them know they were seen and we know it is not OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

What Tom C said is absolutely true. Many peoples brains are wired that way (whether by genetics or trained, I don't know). That is why so many people hit deer and horses, stalled cars, and sink holes. If it is something they do not see nearly every day? They do not recognize it, they do not see it. and plow right into it.
I have, many times, been in a place following another car and watched helplessly while they hit something that I could clearly see from a hundred feet behind them.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

We were stopped at a traffic light, next to a girl in a Prius. It was a red light, and my wife noticed she was smoking and texting. An elderly woman was crossing the street (she was a bit slow). Well, the light turned green and the elderly woman was right in front of the Prius girls car. What do you think the prius girl did??? Takes off, never even noticing the elderly woman. Saw her at the very last second as the woman put her hand on the car. The elderly woman was very close to being injured, if not worse. We got to the next light and she was still texting. One of those things you can't fix stupid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Ya, I know when you stop at a traffic light it is usually red! LOL and it did happen today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Dan,

Thank you for the additional details about the accident.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Driving is not a right,it is a privilege granted by a governing authority. Accordingly, preventing texting while car is in motion may inconvenience the passengers of a vehicle , but it is a small price to pay if it prevents injury or death at the hands of a texting driver. You cannot prevent all the different types of distraction, but this is one that you could.
I would venture a guess that neither the vehicle or phone manufacturers out of their civic responsibility will implement these suggestions, but when the trial lawyers get involved and the judgments are large enough, things will probably change. Parents might also be looking at negligent entrustment judgments if they let the little darlings have the car. Lawyers can be very creative when called upon.
As an aside, one facet of punishment is not only to punish the offender, but to deter others from committing same or similar offenses. Since drivers are presumed to be somewhat intelligent (?) having been issued a license, they are presumed to know the laws of the road. If they violate them, it is normally of their own volition. Accordingly, the fine should be one that would get their attention, and jail or probation a follow up. Forfeit the license and impound the vehicle for awhile. (If it belongs to the parents, too bad--they should not have let the kid drive it) Word would get around. There is no "silver bullet" to this problem, but you have to "get their attention". Just MHO as a former prosecutor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 12:33 am:

I have no issues with people getting dead as a matter of texters and the like. What I have
a problem with is innocents getting placed in peril as a result of these people. But if a driver
(and his/her passengers wish to kill or maim themselves via their negligence (or complicity,
like a passenger forcing the driver to put down the phone, if necessary), I am all for those
people erasing themselves from the streetscapes.

As for crime and punishment .... I used to play the part of Prison Corrections Officer. At
one point, I was tasked with enforcing the infraction of sagging. For those not hip with the
term, it is when these fine gentlemen we see around feel that everyone has a burning desire
to see their underwear or ass by sagging their pants down below said ass.

Burger Rule No. 27: Everyone deserves a second chance.

So, if I spotted Inmate X showing off his posterior, I would inform the gentleman that this was
an infractable offense and that he would not get a second warning. It only took two of these
clowns getting tossed in isolation with the directive to be held so without anything but a shirt
(we were allowed such discretion as a matter of security or making a point) before word got out
that Officer Burger was going to pitch yo' ass in da ho' wit no pants, no wut om sain' Dog ?

My Sergeant was very happy. :-)

It was con taboo to hang one's junk out there unless you were queer, ... and that had a whole
other set of problems for those who played for the pink team. Being forced to do it hit home
real hard in that situation. A similarly strategic approach to texting is what is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 05:18 am:

I don't know if it is still this way,but when I was stationed in Japan If you had a drivers license you were considered a professional! Just their way of looking at things if you were issued a license by the state for anything it meant that you had demonstrated a competence to perform the task at hand. Consequently a few Americans learned the hard way that if you were involved in a traffic incident and you told the police that "I didn't see them" you were immediately charged with gross negligence and carted off to jail:-) I always wondered what the Lawyers over here would say about that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 05:27 am:

Every now and then I read someone's post that makes me think I'm completely wasting my time perusing the forum. Burger, this was not one of your better posts...consider that eyes of all ages read this forum and then get some rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 07:02 am:

That is not much of a promotion for the MTFCI 2016 annual summer tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 07:15 am:

In the news this morning:
"WASHINGTON (AP) Traffic deaths were up 14 percent nationally in the first six months of this year and injuries were up by a third, according to data gathered by the National Safety Council."

Now, look at what they are blaming it on:
"Traffic deaths up sharply in first 6 months of 2015; better economy, lower gas prices cited".

The feds don't admit that "distractions" are a major contributor- because THEY DO IT TOO! (yes, that is a shout)

Read the full story http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/08/17/traffic-deaths-up-sharpl y-in-first-6-months-of-this-year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:13 am:

In the fifteen years of T enjoyment I have watched the danger part slowly get worse mostly with other drivers. We cant match modern cars brakes or power or safety. Tom C. is an expert driver with much experience matched by only a few.

Wonder when the enjoyment will be overcome with the danger of a hundred year old cars natural issues and the government steps in with a heavy hand? I might have to hang my T on the shop wall!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

James Golden,

Not sure how you come to make your statement about the 2016 MTFCI summer tour. Why single out that event versus just driving your T in general?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

It wouldn't take but one little girl being kidnapped and thrown in the trunk of a car and trying to call or text for help but couldn't because her phone was disabled because the car was moving, before another set (Or maybe the SAME set) of lawyers would be screaming the other way around.

The problem is no one is responsible for their own actions anymore. We don't need to make phones quit working when they are moving. We need to make examples of those who have accidents because of it. It will stop when the word gets out.

It never ceases to amaze me the freedoms we will give up in the name of safety or security, when common sense would do just as well, if we are willing to apply it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Hal is right on this one --
"The problem is no one is responsible for their own actions"

We (They) make laws and rules to protect the lazy, self centered, and stupid that degrade our freedom.
I would follow this with a political rant but don't want to get in trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Amen Hal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

I agree with you 100% Hal, with one exception. The statement, "It will stop when the word gets out" is untrue. The word is out and it's made little difference.

We seem to have developed a culture of people who live by the idea that the rules apply to everyone else. It can be seen regularly in not stopping (often not even slowing) for a stop sign, cell phone use while driving, speeding, and many other driving behaviors, some just rude and most blatantly illegal. The attitude seems to be, "I can do whatever the hell I want. All that matters is not getting caught".

Sadly, I must agree in substance with John Regan's comments above. People behave badly because there is typically no consequence to bad behavior. Only a small percentage of offenders are caught, and only a small percentage of those caught experience consequences severe enough to actually compel an adjustment in behavior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

David in CA,

The exception as I see it in the statute is for a GPS to be used on a cell phone for driving directions only.

I drive with a conventional GPS & in Iphone GPS every day.

They are positioned by suction cup devices to my windshield in a manner such that they do not obstruct my vision.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

In Michigan we have very few cops/police/tropers and after watching the msnbc and others they are probably scared to enforce the law!!! Let;s take the slow/black/one taillight model T out of the picture because they might have ran over a kid on a bike or a pedestrian!!?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

James, We are aware of the dangers driving Model T's in today's traffic. That is why the vast majority of our tour will be driven on back roads. We have designed this tour to be an easy and enjoyable drive on both the car and driver. AND... anyway, this accident happened in a completely different area, I don't understand why you would try and connect this to the 2016 Tour.

I started this post on MTFCA forum because it involved a Model T. Accidents and fatalities happen everyday that are not T related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

I am going to repeat something I said before, and then copied onto another forum as well.

"Around here, almost every day as I am driving a modern vehicle, I come up behind other people driving their modern car ON THE FREEWAY at about 45 mph. I AM EXPECTED to not hit them. The law REQUIRES me to not hit them. I figure that if they are allowed to drive on the road, I have the right to drive my T on those same roads at about the same speeds as they do.
I watch very closely behind me when I drive my T. Beyond that, I really don't need to hear much more about it. If I am to be "expected" to not hit other slow vehicles? Then everyone else needs to be expected to not hit me if I am the slow vehicle."
I do appreciate all of these threads keeping us all informed about such "accidents" because we all (even me) do need to be reminded to pay attention and be proactive about our safety.
Hence the sign-off I have used off and on for years.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 12:34 am:

Wayne, i couldn't agree more! What else are we T owners supposed to do to decrease accidents?...I find it absolutely amazing that the average driver seeing a Model T has no clue that this is a very old car, and may have to be cautious and a little more patient and or courteous when we share the same roads, But it isn't so. They drive right up your ass no-matter what...I put my blinker on a 1/4 mile before i intend to turn, and guess what, they will not give you a break and still ride right on your bumper. My conclusion is that we cant change the ignorance of the people who don't understand what its like to own and drive a T..you have to experience it to understand it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 02:37 am:

The fact is, we do drive vehicles that in some ways are not as safe as modern cars are. BUT, they are actually NOT any more dangerous to anyone, not others, not ourselves, if reasonably driven, and IF everyone else reasonably drove their cars as well.
We, for the most part, do our part. VERY FEW antique automobile hobbyists ever drink and drive their antiques. I have never heard of any real antique automobile driver driving them under the influence of major mind altering drugs. Things like texting while driving are almost completely out of the question.
Yes. Accidents do happen. Ken Meeks proved that. Others have also.
Most interests that bring purpose and joy to life do offer some risk. One of my sons loves to go rock climbing. Rob Heyen has a thread going now that illustrates the risks of having horses. Many people are injured or killed every year while skiing.
We all accept THOSE risks.
The risks that have gotten way out of hand are the ones brought about by those who routinely risk the lives and well-being of others by doing drugs, drinking, or distracted driving.
When I drive my model T? I do not ask for any more consideration than is expected for many other drivers. But I shouldn't get less either. I make a habit of pulling over often so faster cars can pass easily. I do this when I drive my model T, or am pulling a heavy trailer, or driving a slow truck or motor-home. It would be nice if more people did that.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 03:27 am:

What a boring thread, What is this brakes and acceleration you speak of? If you hit a car in front of you on a long straight road with good visibility then you are at fault, Not the fault of the old car. My 1990s toyota can't go as fast as people would like but they drive recklessly.

Drivers today are going faster with less reaction time than ever before.
Drivers today have more distractions than ever before.
Therefore, Lower the global speed limit to 30 MPH for everyone until the text driving stops. That will get people attention. And likely the text driving will never stop either. LOL suffer you little texters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 07:05 am:

Maryland has a law that says you cannot drive a vehicle on any highway, if the vehicle is not able to travel at 5 mph above the posted speed limit.

This law was primarily aimed at golf carts and mopeds, but there is no mention of excluding historic or horse drawn vehicles from that law.

The other primary reason for passing the law was to reduce the number of rear end collisions like the photos above show.

Other states may have similar laws, as an organization known as SEMA has a large lobby for promoting these and other similar laws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 07:22 am:

Around my area we have a lot of Amish buggies and Amish children on self propelled scooters who use the highway so most of who drive here know to use caution when we crest a hill or go around a blind curve but there are still accidents. Some by locals some by people passing through but all most always it because they do not obey speed limits or warning signs. Like was mentioned before you can't fix stupid. I drive my Model T's everywhere I'm permitted by law and if the good Lord calls me home when I'm in mine then so be it for no man knows when his time will come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

I work for a company that manufactures automated flagging devices, just to save lives. This may be semi-off topic,,,but hundreds of flaggers and road construction workers get hit and/or killed every year from distracted drivers. Check it out. Noflaggers.com......And, like the rest of you, I see it everywhere,,,nobody paying attention to the road and their surroundings...Dumbasses are running amuck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

I work for a company that manufactures automated flagging devices, just to save lives. This may be semi-off topic,,,but hundreds of flaggers and road construction workers get hit and/or killed every year from distracted drivers. Check it out. Noflaggers.com......And, like the rest of you, I see it everywhere,,,nobody paying attention to the road and their surroundings...Dumbasses are running amuck!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration