Wide Brake Drum without Removeable Lugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wide Brake Drum without Removeable Lugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Stanley on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

All,

I disassembled two '27 engines today, and the first, no. 1470688X, had a brake drum WITHOUT separate drive lugs, just like the old narrow drums. The other engine, no. 1476216X, had the normal wide drum with removable lugs.

Must be a transition piece? I was just curious if anyone has seen this before. The encyclopedia mentions that the separate lugs were added with the wider brake drum.

Nick Stanley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

I am guessing it is a non- Ford made part. The brake drum replaceable lug shoes began in 1925 before the wide drums were made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Nick, That drum, if it is the one you describe as not having lug shoes, is indeed different than the non-lug early drum. Remember that the early (narrow) non-lug shoe drum had the lugs in-line with the bolt holes. When the removable lug was added, the lug needed to be moved half way between the bolt holes since cutting the boss any narrower to fit a shoe would have cut into the bolt hole, or too close for strength. The clutch plates also had to change to provide clearance for the boss around the bolt holes.

Have you measured the lugs in that drum? Any change the lug shoes are missing? I'm not sure the exact date when the shoes were added, so if that is a transition drum, that's really interesting. It doesn't look like there is the groove for the retaining tab either. Thanks,

(Message edited by Dave_Martin on August 16, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

Looks like the shoes are missing as the profile of the lugs in the casting appeared to be stepped to accept the shoes.

Here's an NOS 26-27 brake drum that you can use for comparison:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/369271.html?1371873125

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Now that I look again at your drum, I see that at the steps are not low enough to accept the shoe (or maybe that is just the wear pattern caused by the clutch plates?).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:12 am:

Nic, the transition to drums with lug shoes was made late in the production of the earlier narrow brake drums. I can't imagine there being a transition back to non shoed lugs. Royce's suggestion that it is an aftermarket non-genuine Ford piece makes more sense.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 12:17 am:

Not real common, but I've seen them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 03:28 am:

Larry, Ford drums or aftermarket? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 03:40 am:

The first wide drums had no lugs. Ford part T709B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 03:58 am:

I forgot to mention, I'm referring to Canadian, don't know about the USA ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 05:19 am:

Odd, I have an engine made in USA the first day the wide drum and other 1926 model features were introduced July 27, 1925 and it has the lug shoes. This isn't the first item where Canadian production differs, so that's likely the answer to where it's from :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 11:08 am:

I've run into them, even posted a picture of one on this forum a while back.

Don't get it though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration