Rear seat backrest spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear seat backrest spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

I've never seen a backrest spring mount like this one. Is this type aftermarket or did some of the body manufacturers make them this way? The tub itself is 1919-20 vintage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

I can see the metal uprights like my 19-21 has, the way this seat back attaches might allow it to swing up. Would sure prevent the common error during upholst. of having a flat top on seat backs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Is the spring sitting on the bottom of the seat frame?

Has the spring been folded over to form a rounded top so it wont be flat?

If that's an spring that's made that way as shown its an improvement from the ones that are available now.

I think I would take a picture of it and send it to Snyder's. I bet they could tell you exactly what you have. And they might want to copy it!
I have a 1919 Runabout and a 21 Touring. The ones I got from Snyder's weren't made quite like that as I remember. Could be one of the body makers made it that way like you said.
But that's another question. Did the body makers make their own or did they buy from other sources.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:40 am:

The spring is very firmly fastened to the metal uprights in two places, one at the bottom and the other about a third of the way up, by the triangular darts punched out of the metal. The original cardboard is still in place and in pretty good shape. The whole thing sure looks factory and not a later installation. But you never know.

Here are a few more pics showing the fastening:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Harrington on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

My 21 touring has the same spring and channels you show in the back seat. Do you have a steel channel under the lip that holds the wood tack strip?
How is the front seat backrest spring mounted? I am installing new upholstery but not sure how to mount the front seat spring. There are clips at the top like the rear seat spring but nothing at the bottom This picture shows what is there now. (The hood shelves are not related to the upholstery or springs.)front seat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:49 am:

Susan, I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! Can you post some more pictures of your car? What kind of auxiliary transmission are you running?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:57 am:

Neat arrangement, in that the trimmer doesn't have to worry about installing all kinds of padding at the top of the seat. What really puzzles me is the zinc plated screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:15 am:

I believe that the installation was done a little later than the original factory installation. When I first looked at it the first thing that caught my eye was the plated screws.
By the looks of the pics the spring is up from the bottom of the seat frame by about 2".
If it is than you could bend the outside of the spring at an angle to give it the 'lap over' as shown. But then again maybe one of the body makers used this set up originally.
When I was installing the rear spring in my 21 the pics I found on the forum showed the spring near to or sitting on the seat frame. They are what I went by when installing mine.

This shows that Model T's aren't always the same as we think. Interesting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 10:24 am:

The plated screws are modern and should be disregarded; they were recently installed when someone replaced some sections of the tack strip. Everything else was left alone, which is why I think it's a factory job. Note the manner in which the little triangular darts are curled around the springs' horizontal bars (the best photo showing this is the second one I posted, in the upper right. Look just above the clip that looks like a safety pin). That doesn't look like a later installation, although it could be. Because of the way in which they are curled around the spring bars, the little metal tabs would probably have been broken off when the original spring was removed.

Susan, are you referring to the 1/2" wide bead that is rolled into the top of the rear panel just below the tack trip?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

RV-

My 1919 has an assembled body. The back seat section is just like yours. For years I had just the front seat section, and a 1923 turtle deck nested up against the seat back. Here are some digital images from some 25 year old snapshots:

Here is the rust 5-panel back seat section.

You can see the same V-shaped clips here.

You can see the lower clip and the middle clip.

I assumed there was a wood retainer strip that was attached to the holes above the middle.

New Snyder back seat springs and Carter Cut 'n' Cover upholstery kit.

Back when I had hair!

There was no springs, attaching clips, hardware, or wood on my sheetmetal, so I did my best guesses. I used short sections of plumbers strap to attach the top part of the springs to the top tack strip. The end result looked quite like yours. I had no idea there was cardboard back there.

I don't know who the body maker was for the back section. The front section is Beaudette and it did not have the metal vertical pieces. They were wood.

Before back seat.

After back seat.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

RV,

I thought I already had some photos of a very similar looking rear seat. But I can't find those photos so maybe I didn't take them?

I believe I have a rear 1917-1921 rear tub that has a very similar spring and card board piece between the spring and the back panel. Iím not sure if what I saw is on our relatively unchanged but well worn May 1918 Beaudett (also spelled Beaudette) bodied touring or if it is on the 1917-1921 style rear seat section. That rear seat section still has some of the original paint and upholstery including the backrest springs. But somewhere within the last 5 years I have seen that same spring set up.

If no one else posts some photos of similar arrangements before Saturday, I will do my best to stop by the shed and take some photos to post. I know that on our car the seat springs have not changed since 1950 and from the looks of it Ė most likely not since around May 1918.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Susan,

It is good to see you posting. Iíll try to look at the front seat area also this weekend.

Susan is the president of the Model T Ford Club South Carolina chapter and does a great job of promoting our hobby and club.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l915 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Harrington on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 09:56 am:

RV
Here is a picture of the seat channel/stiffener I asked about. This is the rear seat with new Fordwood plastic tack strip going in. The wood tack strip was damaged in an accident and had to be replaced.
The screws that held the springs and body to the tack strip were round head. I don't think they were original but the wood may have been. The channel was so tight the old wood had to be chiseled out.seat stiffener

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration