Brass radiator prices going up?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brass radiator prices going up?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

I contacted a supplier about a new brass radiator for my 1914 Roadster. The manufacturing company has radiators on back order and prices are going up. A flat tube brass was 1,150.00 and some change now $1,300. Next go around prices are expected to go higher. 2-3 months out on delivery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

I've noticed one supplier in Ohio moving prices up on a lot of items, some prices well over a hundred dollars on smaller priced items. One item in particular sells for 16 dollars at another vendor and 32 dollars in Ohio. I have never been a shop around buyer until the last two or three months. I also see prices on the cars listed here and e-bay falling and many just not selling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

When was the last time you've been to the grocery store? Everything has been going up. Even import goods now that the Yuan is worth about the same as a Peso.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 05:35 am:

Brass, Copper, Aluminium, Lead, Silver and Gold are all starting to climb rapidly due in large part to U.S. monetary policies! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 06:58 am:

You have it all wrong!

The prices have not gone up, the value of your dollar has gone down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Ding! Ding! Ding!...!!!!! Jim Golden wins the prize! Uncontrolled money printing and criminal Federal Reserve policy are leading to eventual inflation which will spiral out of control. Because of this, I've been on a campaign over the last few years to acquire as many T parts as possible. They're only going to cost more worthless dollars and those who are reproducing them are going to charge lots more or go out of business. It has to happen. It always does with fiat currencies and/or governments that have no asset backed money system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Last I checked, commodity prices have fallen largely due to lackluster demand and the stronger greenback.

http://www.cnbc.com/commodities/?trknav=dw:topnav:markets:commodities:100746233

Increasing prices could then only be attributed to increasing production costs (labor+capital), increasing demand and flat production, or increasing profit margins. Your guess as to which of the last three is the primary mover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:28 am:

You pick the reason, but all I know is the government says there's no inflation, but I have sticker shock every time I go to the grocery store. Someone's either lying or has figured out how to make the figures lie for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Bud: Figures never lie, but Liars sometimes figure!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Check the economy, the inflation rate has not been rising and it is at a remarkable low and trending towards stability. Source: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/inflation-cpi

However, the trend I am seeing is less Model T's pulling big bucks and demand in general for these cars has gone down as the older generation (the ones who grew up and saw these on the road) is dying off and almost gone. The new generations are simply not flocking to these cars and therefore demand is down, supply is up and suppliers still want to maintain profits.

I am 44 and people are shocked that I prefer a 22hp car to a Charger or a Mustang. Car shows around here are the same mix of rods and muscle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:44 am:

It has to be a T show in order for people to be interested. Muscle cars draw them away and you're just taking up a spot. James is right. And he's getting "righter" as time passes. The interest in these cars is fading and we're about 000.1% of the car buffs out there. You may dispute this but remember your in the hobby and your opinion is biased. Dropping economic conditions will of course affect car prices, (my self, I haven't noticed a real drop), but you dump in lack of general interest and it's a problem $ wise. Part prices, especially on demand stuff like radiators, is bound to rise as demand falls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Heck, I'd just be glad to GET my new brass rad for my '12. Been waiting since June 23rd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:19 am:

I'm afraid Charlie is right. We're a tiny minority of a small minority. That's a good reason to get these cars out where people can see them. Drive your T to town for shopping and errands. When people show an interest, let them sit in the car for pictures. Take them for a ride around the parking lot or around the block. Give them some propaganda.

I carry a stash of business-sized cards.

Most folks won't pursue the subject as an interest, but you may ignite a spark that lights the way for one more person into the Model T world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Great Idea Steve!!!

I drive one of our T's 5 or more days a week for errands, It's my primary transportation.
I think I'll copy your artwork, Laminate it, and magnet it to both sides of our daily driver. I'll also do the business card thing.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Tim;
Did Brass Works make u pay up front

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Richard..actually I got it from (ahem, MAC's) back when everything was on sale, including the radiator. Went on the credit card of course, and they posted it within a week, whereas the last one I ordered from them before they were bought out from Ecklers, it didn't get charged until Brassworks was ready to ship it. Kinda sucks. Hope I get the damn thing before fall! (which technically is Sept.1 by the way!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

What is latest on Berg's brass and black radiators?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

My experience has been if you want attention you won't get it a show.......you'll get it when out and about.
It's very seldom when I'm out with any of my cars that someone doesn't remark on them.
I've YET to have anyone turn down the offer of a ride....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Bad news for me, i have extra taxes and freight.
Lots of people turn down rides from me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Latest on Berg's black radiators? They are FANTASTIC!!! Just installed my third one in my fourth T. Gery is a standup guy, who lives "customer service" and offers one hell of a product. T-based machine #5 is waiting in the queue for restoration and I'm chasing #6; they'll both get Berg's radiators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Ted

Berg's told me a year ago - no more brass radiators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tomlinson on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Yep, at the Hershey swap meet, maybe last year, Berg had his brass radiator forms for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 01:54 am:

Yes, Berg had his tooling and remaining brass radiator parts for sale at Chickasha this spring. I was hoping that Rob Heyen would encourage his friend from Kansas to buy them. I'm sure he'd give us a quality product too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Steve,
You must have read my article in the latest MTT. Like your business card idea for introducing newcomers to our hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

I just got the call today that the '14 radiator that was ordered on May 27....shipped toward me today! Hopefully any of you still waiting will hear good news in the next few days. By the way, back in May, it was $1200

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration