More roadster progress

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: More roadster progress
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 06:54 am:

I have the cornerstones (cornerwoods) done. All the timbers in this body are oversize compared to that available nowdays, so I have to machine them from larger stock.corners

I made a blue whrn I cut one of the angles from the wrong side.Having no more wide,oversize boards, I had to resort to this little correction. I was not happy.spacer

I was somewhat pleased to find this.spscer 2
This is a factory correction, so I am in good company. The problem is, I cut my timbers from these originals, so perhaps I will be looking at having to make the same correction.Damn!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Allen, looks good. My mentor told me there is no such thing as a mistake, "Unless you can not fix it" When Im re-wooding a body, Im somewhat a perfectionist or purist. Ill replicate the original mistakes. I try to use the same saw techniques, and leave the same saw/tooling marks as they were on the original piece. But that's just me, being me :-). The only thing I really hope you are doing is to use straight slot screws. Keep the pics coming, we like to see others projects, unfold.... Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:34 am:

I think I know how you feel. "It was good enough back in the day" doesn't really answer. They did 50 or whatever cars a day and you're taking months or whatever on one. Shim or re-cut as you must. Please yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

I am laughing out loud! Donnie B, you and I must be very much alike. Thirty years ago, when I was restoring the first boat-tail roadster that I had (the green one). I had enough of the original wood (in poor condition) to duplicate the original structure. I very carefully duplicated the miscut on the underside of the tail's backbone.
Yeah. I know. I am crazy.

Allen B, If it makes you feel any better? There are a few "corrections" hidden inside the '15 runabout I am currently working on also. I have seen lots of original corrections in several original cars I have worked on over the years. Including a couple in the remaining original wood in my runabout.

Thank you for the update! I love that special roadster of yours.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Donnie, whenever we go travelling, my wife visits antique and opportunity shops and I haunt hardware shops. I am always looking for slotted wood screws and square nuts, both long since deleted from normal lines. I have a couple of lifetime supplies of screws but the square black nuts in 1/4" are getting low.

The really hard to find ones are what you fellows call oval heads. 4 and 5 gauge nickel plated brass ones are used to attach the turnbuckle fittings for side curtains. I thought I had plenty, until I used 120 of them on my shooting brake. If I sell that car they will be changed out for the same in nickel plated steel, and I will keep the brass ones for another project.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration