Tube Stem Leak?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tube Stem Leak?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

My TT had a front flat this morning when I went out. The air comes out the tube stem between the rubber and brass. No experience here, what's up? Repairable? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

Hi Pat,

Yes that can (but shouldn't) happen. A fix is to put a miniature hose clamp at the base of the stem and then re-inflate. This can be a long term fix but your tube is bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

You will need a new Tube. As the stem is in that condition the tube will not be better.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

I often use baling wire, the model T owner's friend. Two full turns and a quick twist or two. I usually fold the wire twist down and wrap electrical tape around it a few times so that I don't reach for the valve stem and cut my fingers later on.
I used an inner-tube on my modern-ish pickup for at least ten years and a quarter million miles with a piece of baling wire holding air in the valve stem. I wore out many tires, but kept using the same tube, baling wire fix and all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

(Message edited by wayne sheldon on August 18, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

(I hate it when I type the wrong form of a spoken word, and notice it just as my finger presses "Post this Message")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

You might find a truck tire shop that has a new stem which can be vulcanized to the tube. Shops like Discount Tire won't have any idea what you are talking about. These folks have them:

http://www.gemplers.com/tube-repair

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 12:13 am:

The safest fix is to cut the old stem off about 1/32: above the tube, and carefully twist the old stem off, as the center part goes down into the tube. Then sand the remaining part of the old stem down until the area is smooth. Then get an original metal valve stem, a Schrader 777 will do, and insert that down into the tube with the help of a pair of snap ring pliers. When you are finished if the tube is ok, you will be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Like this?

http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

I had to go to Spokane today so I swung by the Auto Ranch and got a tube. I will try the stem repair on my "new" spare tube. Thanks for the info. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration