Hood shelf help needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hood shelf help needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

I'm getting my sheet metal ready for paint and I pulled out my hood shelves only to find two different sets. The ones with the wide rear section do not allow the front hood clip hole to line up properly to the frame hole but the other set does. What are the applications for the two different sets and is the set with the narrow rear section correct for a 24-25?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

If these are for a 1924-1927 C-Cab, then you use the wider ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

The lower ones go with a high radiator car, which a 24-5 model should have.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Top set is 1917 to 1923.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Thanks for the responses. Maybe it is just because the lower ones are reproductions but the front holes for the hood latches don't line up well at all to the holes in the frame. The holes on the upper ones line up well which was making me wonder if they were supposed to be different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Hi Justin,

Are you using the correct wooden blocks with the hood shelves? There are different sets for the two styles of shelves. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

The hood latches go through at an angle, so they will not line up vertically. You definitely need the correct wood blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

I got a set of blocks with the shelves but the holes don't line up well at all. They look to be the right blocks with the holes drilled wrong. I do see on the front ones that the hood latch retaining washer sits at an angle. My thought was that it was supposed to sit vertically. (In the photo the black circles on the front holes show where the frame hold lines up when laying directly on the frame without the blocks.) Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

That looks about right to me if you have the right blocks. The latch handles are closer to the fenders than the spring end when installed correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

I should mention that a small washer goes between the spring and the wood block to keep the spring from wearing through the wood. It fits into the angled counterbore in the block.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration