Oil plug

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oil plug
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

I got a leaking oil plug. Any ideas how to fix?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Do you have a brass washer on it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Loosen it, then wrap string around it then re-tighten it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

It has a brass ring, the threads don't feel to good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

I think I`ll try the thread, thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Rick, can you tighten it fully and it still leaks, or does it not tighten due to the stripped threads?... If the latter I would be very concerned about it loosening up to the point of falling out which would, as you know, be disastrous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 12:07 am:

I know brass is correct, but I prefer copper, because it's softer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 07:32 am:

I had the same problem and after many tries I found a small pin hole in the case next to the plug. I drained the oil and let it drain for 2 days and then used carb cleaner for another day on and off to get all the oil from the hole and then brazed the hole. Never leaked again. Maybe could have gotten away with J B Weld. I have another pan on the floor with the same problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Try one of those oil plug replacement kits? Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Not a lot of money for the chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 08:31 am:

A new plug costs $2.75. With magnet, $5.95. New washers are original brass ($1), copper (65), or fiber (20). Prices may vary by dealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 08:46 am:

I found the threads on a cheap magnet plug from Snyder's didn't feel like it tightened well when I tried it. Bought a costlier generic magnet plug from England (can't remember where) that had a little larger diameter on the threads but still entered fine in my pan and now I'm a happy oil tight camper that isn't afraid the threads will go as soon as I tighten the plug :-)

Has anyone used the $3.95 magnet plug from Snyder's with success?
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/magnetic-oil-drain-plug

(I guess it's a classic example of you'll get what you pay for.. But it's such an important part that it should have been better made even if it would make it cost some more)

(Message edited by Roger K on August 19, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

As of last night I`m almost afraid to go near it. I`ve had so many problems come up with this car. My first restore wasn't near as hard. The more you add to a car the more you go through. I`ve built this car from parts from all over the country from scratch. My first car`s name is Lulu, I think I`ll go out and kiss her right on her fender. I`ve been buying parts here and there for a speedster, no more after that. Just take care of what I have, and help others on their Tee`s

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration