Rear End Problem 26 Tudor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear End Problem 26 Tudor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

I have been rebuilding the differential on my 26 this past week. I have followed the MTFCA book on rear axles and now have it all together. However I have a problem with it being too tight when I torque down the bolts on the housing. It is just a few thousands tight so I can't rotate the ring gear. If I loosen up the bolts, it rotates fine. Any clue where I have something incorrectly assembled that has made it too tight? Thanks for your help. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Sounds to me like you need to remove a little material from the thrust washers?

I am not an expert! But I have set up a couple T rear ends.

Better advice will probably follow from more seasoned wrench spinners!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Rand, You didn't follow the book. You bolt the two housings together without a gasket and check to see if you can turn the ring gear . If not you remove a little material from the 2528 bronze thrust washer face on the drivers side until you can turn the ring gear with a little friction. Then when you add the gasket between the housings you will gain 0.003-0.004 thousands clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Take a little more off the thrust washer. I set mine so they are snug to turn bolted together without the gasket. When the .005 gasket is added makes them about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 12:01 am:

OK, Thanks for all your responses. How is the best way to remove material from the thrust washers? Do I take off and equal amount from both right and left washers? Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Rand, if you have your gear mesh correct, the right hand side thrust washer is the one to work on. If you take some off the left washer, it will open up your gear mesh.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

Alan, I just pulled apart the rear end again. I now understand you're comment on the gear mesh. Thanks, Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

Opps I mean your comment instead of you're.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Rand, try putting an extra gasket in.

Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration