OT - 1907 Ford at 62 mph. 70, here we come......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - 1907 Ford at 62 mph. 70, here we come......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Continuing to sort out the 6-40. We've touched 66 mph, but this time had a Garmin going, and hit a top speed for the trip of 62.1 mph. There was plenty of throttle left, so I don't doubt we'll make the advertised speed of 70 mph plus.

If you watch the youtube link, go to about the midway point to see the run at highway speeds:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=F-hCH5ojJfA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 09:03 am:

You should join Stefan Marjoram and the gang with early racers that tours France every summer :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanmarjoram/sets/72157656885115579/page1

From an answer to a question on facebook about how fast they're driving when on tour:
"The Darracq should be able to do over 120mph! We tended to stick to roughly the speed of the modern cars - occasionally a bit faster because it's funny to see the driver's faces when you overtake them."

https://goo.gl/dg50yE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Mabel,Put a offer in the newspaper to sell the driving carriage and team with all the harness!! It's great to see and hear the big six easily power the car without any shifting noise,and i mean no grinding!! When the deer jump in front of you i hope both you and the car do well!!! Less than a month to the OCF!! Glad your on the mend!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Hey, Rob -- Glad to see you're not trying for 70 on the dirt road in front of your house! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Awesome!! :-) My fear would be road debris taking out some of that beautiful brass!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Congratulations Rob, pretty soon you will be able to run with the Model T's. :-)
Rodger thanks for all the pictures. Beautiful cars!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Hey Rob, why don't you ask Tom Carnegie if you can compete in the MT500 with your K?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:39 am:

What? You're thinking of driving that thing 70 mph. Have you been kicked in the head? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

WOW! just WOW! is all I can say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

Awesome! I loved the BIG 6 sound!

All I could think about as you were driving at speed, in traffic, was all the texting going on around you.

I would be more worried about the "road debris" taking YOU out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

I have had six different model T speedsters over the years that I have restored (parts of two more in project piles in the back). One of them (I sold years ago) was clocked several times at 70 mph, and could do that all day long with the over-drive. I drove it a lot and often at full throttle for miles and miles and miles. I loved it. The faster car that I had, I seldom (never?) had convenient and reasonably safe opportunities to run near full throttle. A few times I had it somewhat over 70 mph, but never to full throttle except going up steep hills. It probably could have done at least 80 mph. I wish I still had that one.
That 6-40 K should be heavy enough and long enough to handle quite nicely at 70 plus! But please do so carefully (as I very often say!). I really do not want either you or that fantastic automobile getting messed up. And believe me, bad things can happen very quickly at those speeds. Especially in a car with comparatively no brakes and non-responsive steering. Just ask a friend of mine that was being clocked by a modern car at 90 mph when his model T racing car broke a kingpin.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb - Lake Forest - So. CA on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

T's panel
I have a sticker on the Speedster's dash. People say, "You went 200 M.P.H. in this???"
Then I show them the decimal point between the two zeros!
Gets a lot of laughs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

I'll start at the top:

Roger, thank you for the link. What a great bunch of racers. I must say there is something about hurtling down the road with cutout open and nothing between you and the road except a steering wheel.

Bud, see you at OCF. If you liked the touring, you'll love the roadster.......

Mike, we've done sixty on the gravel road you rode the N on. It handles very well on gravel and dirt with the long wheelbase. However, ou can fishtail around corners due to the light rearend.

Gary, sometimes you just have to go for it. Besides, I've already had my bad luck for the year.

John and George, yes, maybe we could keep up with Ts. I would love to run with the Montanna Ts for a bit, but my parts and repairs are harder to come by.....

Michael, I resemble that remark. :-)

Dennis and John. Thanks. Yes, the six makes a great "throaty" sound. I think I'll wire the cutout open all the time.

Wayne, being an old speedster guy, I bet you would love this. Maybe we'll see you in MN one of these years.

Bob, that's a good sticker. Enjoy.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Ah, the adventures of Rob.....what fun.

Speaking on behalf of all of us, we enjoy being part of all of this through your posts, videos and pictures, Rob.

Thanks for posting all of this for us to see. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Probably the last time I take the K over 60 before the Old Car Festival (and new rear wheels). Went to 66.4 mph today on a beautiful morning, about 70 degrees. Everything seems to be working well, but I think the original Buffalo carburetor needs to be dialed in a little better. 70 may have to wait, but I guarantee 66 is still a thrill. The engine has a really nice throaty sound at speed.

Link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCTKNzH3AXQ&feature=em-upload_owner

Garmin ending pic:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Rob-

Thanks for the videos and update.

I gotta tell ya', it scares the crap out of me when I see you driving that fast, using one hand to hold your camera or phone! It takes me both hands to drive my Model T. Of course the Model K is much more car than the Model T. I can't imaging driving it one handed!

Yikes!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Keith & Rob, I feel the same way!

Rob, any chance you could get a passenger to hold the camera.....you know, then you could put both hands on the wheel... :-)

Just a thought.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Are you having fun? Great video ! Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

Warren, yes, it doesn't get much better than this.

Keith(s), I appreciate your concerns. However, I really don't want anyone riding with me at speed. It would be bad to have an accident on my own, unforgivable to hurt someone else in the process. I need to hook up the Go-Pro. Besides, then I could adjust the lean/rich as I go. This carburetor needs to be richer as speed increases. That's hard to do while running the gas, spark, camera and steering wheel. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Rob, I understand, and that's a valid concern.

Maybe you could use 2 Go-Pro's, one focused on the GPS and the other on the road.

Again, just a thought.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Bud if you liked the touring you will love the roadster!! I can't get over it! If i liked the touring! The first time i had ever rode in a car of such importance! Not knowing anything about a Model K other than what was printed in Tin Lizzie so long ago then given a ride and the forum post which told how the K was a big success and actually helped build the early Ford Motor Co!!! I can't really say enough about the unlimited power of the big six and how well it worked with the silent two speed!!!! Next,I can't say enough about Rob who freely shares his knowledge of early cars/early Fords,and also shares his friendship and his model K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope i have not overstepped and embarrassed anyone but i get wound up!! Try to spell at your own risk! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

I would be more then willing to sign any document releasing you of all responsibility just to ride that sucker at 70 MPH. If I died the undertaker would probably need an extra week just to pick the bugs out of my teeth and wipe the smile off my face! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

WOW WOW WOW, Just think 5 years ago we would all be melting any K part we could find as the K was a poor piece of junk. But with a lot of research, hard work and plenty of money we all have a new love for the K Thank you Rob for having the foresight and true grit to bring all truths about the K to light. Long live the K. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

ps, I forgot to ask. Can I have a ride? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Keith, thank you again for the sentiment. We all drive hundred year old iron, so we all live with some degree of risk. If driving old cars was easy, everyone would do it..... :-)

Denny, if I were going to pick an old car guy to "crash and burn" with, it would be you, or Dave H., or Eric H., or Mike W., or , well, you get the idea....:-)

Scott, you were one of the first "modern" planetary advocates I've known, and changed my perspective on Ford two speed planetaries. Thank you, and of course, you may have a ride, or drive.

Life is good when your old car runs well.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Almost forgot, Bud, look me up at OCF. I've got a ride for you.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Rob,You can count on me finding you and the 6=40 but time at the OCF is quickly gone and there are so many others who have never had a chanch to even see a 6-40 or K let alone ride.Last year i enjoyed it just to meet and talk to you and Dean Yoder!! Some day when i win a large lotto they will awaken OLD 16 and we will go!!!!!!!!!!!!! About to buy a lotto Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

I am totally with Dennis S on this one! And Bud also.
And since I have already done a bit over 70 mph both as driver or as passenger in model Ts, I know what they feel like. And my Grey race car was a shortened chassis that weighed even less, but boy was it fast! I always go slow down hills, because THINGS CAN GO BAD QUICKLY! But uphill I worked that one. Even though it was a flat-head, the big valves, ports, and carburetor was fast. I often passed over-head valve Ts going uphill on curvy hills.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy that beast! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

I have only known Rob for a short time, but in that short time he has shown himself to be a gentleman and a bit of a crazy man. You have to be to take a K up to 70mph. He is very generous and willing to share what he has. Not many will do that.

I was lucky enough to spend some time with him, Dean, and Ben working on the car. Some day I will get a ride. Wish I could race my Speedster against him, but he already goes to fast. Maybe if I had a RAJO.

The only thing you have to watch out for is when Rob has 3 beers under his belt. Ask Jerry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Every year a group of us have one "sports car night." My wife drove her 98 Chebby (Vette), and we had two other Camaros and a Porsche. We decided to let the car with the most cubic inches lea the procession to a nearby winery.......

Porsche:

Wife's Vette and 73:

Leader of the pack......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:11 am:

"We decided to let the car with the most cubic inches lead the procession to a nearby winery....... "

Rob -- When I read that, I expected to see Holly's big-block Vette in the lead. I didn't think of your "bigger than life" Sports Car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Just like towing,It's what's up front that counts!! You look good!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:59 am:

Rob.....Way to go! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Oh, Yeah! Love it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Did anyone even notice the other cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Rob

Please share your new video with the rest of the group here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Dave,
It was my first attempt this year using a GoPro, so not too exciting. Last evening was cloudy and windy, and I'm not sure it's the best place to mount the camera. About 15 minutes long, and you get my usual (unusual) collection of music.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu8lq50j14kbyzu/k%206-40.mov?dl=0

Extra Credit: name of the first instrumental? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:15 am:

The Magnificent Seven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Wow,After all that i feel the need to chip in for gas!! I can see it all now,local man gets fined for speeding in 1907 auto! Good on ya!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Mike, you were all over that one. Seems like a good way to begin a video about a 1907 car.......

:-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=abwMykCREW0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Rob.....That was a nice ride!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Eric H said "Did anyone even notice the other cars?"
I noticed that my Audi TT roadster would probably fit right in! However, that is not the car I really like to fit into with. Although, it IS "T" related. I have a '15 T runabout, a '19 T boat-tail roadster, and a TT roadster.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Wayne, I think we need some pics of your cars and projects. Thank you for your contributions to the forum. Thanks Keith, see you and Bud in a few weeks.....

Might as well get everyone in on this. My 15 year old went riding, and I asked her if she wanted to drive?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HK8o0QrqI&feature=em-upload_owner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

She did good!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Rob, there is going to be a lot of "T" guys crying in there beer. A girl get so drive a K and there are on the side lines watching. Good for you and her. I hope you learn to like the horses as much as the gals like the K. Great job, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Rob

You just lost that car. It is hers now. You better start looking for another K. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 06:50 am:

Thanks guys. Dave, she'll have to wait for her inheritance on this car....:-)

About 30 seconds into the video she pulls on the throttle and at 35 mph I tell her to slow down. At a point she asks "how windy it is at 60 mph if it's this windy at 35?"

I'm not sure where she gets that from, probably her mother......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Now there's an early Ford enthusiast if there ever was one! :-)

Good for her.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Ya gotta love that! what fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Rob you are truly blessed.

Beautiful family, beautiful home, beautiful cars and you get to enjoy it all with them.

A great video but I am thinking your going to lose a K car to a younger generation sooner then you think.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration