S.R. Frontenac engine complete with Model T transmission for sale on MTFCA classified site

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: S.R. Frontenac engine complete with Model T transmission for sale on MTFCA classified site
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

We sold Chris Egsgaard's hill climber complete with 1916 Model T Engine and still have the dual port S.R. Frontenac for sale. I am posting this notice because some members thought the S.R. Frontenac engine had been sold too.

S.R. Fronty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sayer on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 01:22 am:

How much are you asking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 01:25 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/564201.html?1440033653

See link above for the ad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 03:06 am:

I forgot to add that the engine has a very rare cross drive dual Stutz cross drive distributor. the engine head is a cross flow design with one and a half inch ports and twin ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:06 am:

That exhaust manifold/header really sucks. Sorry for a negative comment, but for such a class engine for $10,000 there should be something class about the exhaust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 10:49 am:

John McGinnis, Please contact me personally via the Forum message system if you have any questions or concerns about this engine. I am storing it for my Dad and can provide additional photos if requested. Thank you :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Again my apologies...I guess I am just too sensitive to header construction...and I should have made my comments in private. Maybe you should advertise this engine on the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

John, if you read the top parts of this thread you will note that this column only refers to the classified section and even has the link.

With respect to the header design, it was made that way in order to be more efficient. The stock manifold looks nicer but is not as efficient as the one mounted on this engine. The stock manifold fires #1 and just as that pulse gets there it meets #2. As they get to the third port they meet #4 and all get pressed together. Then number three fires and is the only unencumbered cylinder.

The header on this engine is all three into one and they all take turns nicely without the interferences found in the pretty stock one. I suppose the welds could be dressed to improve its looks and it could be polished and coated with a modern finish like those used on A.C. Cobras, but this was built to race and not for show.

Sorry to offend your liking artistic classiness rather than efficiency John. This engine was built to race not just run in parades and be shown at car shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

I have built many headers and understand the extraction principle. That means equal length tubes tuned (for the desired rpm peak) to each cylinder being combined into a collector. The system shown looks like a cobbled up tube system...I am done apologizing. Yes, I have now looked at the *classified* link.
But I do love the distributor system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Well at least we have one thing in agreement, a rare ignition system ;~)

distributor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

The Fronty header available for this head was built on a 6" radius 90 degree U bends and easy to fabricate but that is for a side mount pipe. It opened to 4" then had a slight cone for a slip fit for the side pipe. The header on Frank's motor is custom built for the car it came out of and not a detraction of it's value, you are buying the Fronty engine the last thing I would look at is a bolt on header that would need to be custom built anyway ($100 or less if you can do it yourself).

The real prize here is the SR head and the rare side drive dual Stutz dist. The side drive plate isn't so hard to find but a dual ignition magneto or dist. is the expensive component.

Frank, I read the classified and had a smile about the 2 intake manifolds for dual down draft carbs...any idea when the first down draft were used??? We both know why I am asking! 2 of my SR heads have down draft carbs, one with a manifold for one carb. and the other has the same twin intakes for two. I also have the same Stutz dist. on one motor.

Without me being there to look at the head in person I feel that your package is a very good buy, if the head is in good condition and not milled off bad the head alone should be worth around $7,500. The side drive and Stutz unit would add another $1,500 to $2,000 in my opnion. That makes the rest of the package almost free and I have no idea of condition or what rods or crank you have.

If I didn't already have 4 of them (2 in rocker arm and 2 in overhead cam) I would have bought it weeks ago. Somebody needs to step up and get the possibly only chance in a lifetime if they really want one of the best ever built for a T block. The next one might be years away to find this easy. They are not falling out of the sky and normally these things only move around within an network of collectors and not a public sale.

Hope this helps,

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

I sold a stutz dual distributor unit for 1500.00 about 10 years ago. They are very hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Continuing to be more of a jerk...I don't know of a pushrod operated 8 valve head that goes for more than $4k...more like $3k. Even Gemsas. I would think that the block and guts would be worth plenty though....if I knew what was inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

This low compression "T" version Frontenac just sold on Ebay a month ago for $5300

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Frontenac-model-T-racing-head-/181791429293?vxp= mtr&hash=item2a539d12ad&nma=true&si=4WwrSn%252ByImHpQslA22XAawhPJCw%253D&orig_cv ip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'd pay more for an SR than a T :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Tim Moore, I think the Down Draft carburetor was first used on a mass produced production automobile or truck on the 1929 Dodge with "Floating Power" and may have also been used on all Chrysler built automobiles and truck that year.

But here is a picture of a 1919 V12 Curtis Aircraft engine with dual downdraft carburetors. So some folks just do not listen to the truth. ;~)

Downdraft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 02:04 am:

I am surprised that not one person attempted to prove me wrong about downdraft carburetors being used before 1929. Aero files shows an engine built in 1919 with dual downdraft carburetors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

End Winfield made custom racing down drafts prior to the 1930 model S release. They were over grown carbs similar to the mid 20's V model. MG

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration