'26/'27 Spindles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '26/'27 Spindles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Just a thought, did the "Improved Ford" have designated left and right spindles ?? If so How can I tell ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Yes they do. Drivers side is right hand thread, passenger side is left hand thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

HUH! I forgot about that. I'll check that when I have my wires trued. So righthand thread,clockwise to tighten Counter for the left ??
I always get that mixed up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

IIRC the 26/27 spindles were also 1/2 inch higher than the earlier ones in order to lower the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 12:31 am:

Fellows, to this right hand driver, Aaron's advice is incorrect. If we all use 'right side of car has left hand thread and left side of car has right hand thread' there can be no mis-understandings.

Hope this avoids some difficulty.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Never mind, I misread the post. Removed for lack of relevance.

(Message edited by zdillinger on August 20, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

George,
The only different between the 1926/27 spindles and the spindles used before is the place where the wheel axle is set.
On the 1925 spindles and before the axle is set in the middle of the spindle, on the 1926/27 spindles the axle is set at about 45mm from the top, to lower the car.
Left hand drive or right hand drive have nothing to do with thread on the spindle.
The left spindle have clockwise (right)thread and the right spindle have counter clockwise (left)thread.
The reason for this is the way the wheel turns while running forwards.
The right wheel is running clockwise, If the thread was clockwise, the outer bearing will tie it self up till it block the wheel and breakdown.
By putting counter clockwise thread on the spindle, the bearing will try to untied it self and will be blocked by the washer, the nut and the pin. For the left wheel it is just the other way.

Hope this helps.
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Andre -- There is another difference. The '26-7 spindles have only about 2/3 as much camber built into them as the earlier ones have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

Sorry Allen, I should have stated left and right hand side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 12:40 am:

Mike,
That's normal because the axle is higher so the camber must be smaller to come to the same point where the wheel (steering) turns.

Andre
Belgium

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration