Autolite spark plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Autolite spark plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Hey, new man here, can someone tell me the part number for the extended reach Autolite spark plugs required when the adaptor for 14mm plugs has been installed? The previous owner (PO) installed the adaptors and had short reach plugs installed (looked like lawn mower plugs). I'm afraid to try removing the adaptors in order to use the "big" plugs. Any help will be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I don't have the number for you but the inserts should be brass and just screw out like a plug.
Back to the question on plugs, are you running coils or distributor? If you are running coils I have found that you will need to find non resistor type plugs. The resistors don't like the up-down voltage spikes and seem to burn out the resistors rather quick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Welcome to the forum. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 06:26 am:

I have two sets of adapters, and they just screw out, there really shouldn't be an issue unless superman put them in.

As far as the plugs, I can get you the number when I get home from work if no one responds by then. I run the newer plugs and adapters on my stuff, just easier to get modern plugs around here.

Oh yea, and welcome to the affliction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Thanks for the welcomes. Yes, Chad, I would like the P/N when you get it. I am running coils, rebuilt by The Coil Man. The car is a 1914 touring, a nice driver, not show quality. I have complete purchase history from new, I'm the 4th owner. Also, thanks for the advice re the adapters, I may try to get them out as I have a set of the large base Autolites (3095).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:36 am:

A couple years back I ran Autolite plugs in my touring car. I found, after the engine was up to run temperature, that the porcelain loosened in the plugs and caused a compression leak and a loss of power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Are those the plugs with the glued-in terminals that loosen and fall out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Some people don't know when to stop when tightening spark plugs.
When I first got our '27 the plugs were so tight I had to use a deep socket and a breaker bar to get them out. And, no, they weren't rusted, just super tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:02 am:

OK, I tried removing the adapters and they came right out, installed the 3095 Autolites and all looks good. Reading Ken's post above, I did't really horse down the plugs, however, there is still about 3 threads showing, is this normal? Again, the plugs are tight but not long breaker bar tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:07 am:

"however, there is still about 3 threads showing, is this normal?"

More or less. The plugs have 1/2" pipe thread (NPT) which is tapered so they tighten and seal w/out a gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Ken, thanks, I thought that was OK. All advise is very appreciated!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration