Model Ts? Found in Lake Mead in 1938

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model Ts? Found in Lake Mead in 1938
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Came across this article, they look like Model Ts to me.

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Drought-dry-Lake-Mead-recedes-to-unveil-6415049.php#photo-8385784

This is the caption:
These two cars were abandoned by their owners when Lake Meadís waters covered the town of St. Thomas in 1938. They were revealed when the lake receded in 1945. Note the wide wooden wheel on the car to the right; also, the smaller wheel with wooden spokes. The wide wooden wheel was used as an "engine" to pump water, the belt being placed on this wooden wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

"Hey. I can restore this car."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Hi Mike,

I agree, they sure look like Ts to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

They were gone when I flew over mead this morning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

Nah, ... still there ! I saw them when I flew over this afternoon. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

is the B-29 still in lake meade? or is that the same lake?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

That photo shows the cars etc how they looked in '45, only seven years after the lake was filled over them. They probably could have been restored at that point. Now, 70 years later, there probably are not many usable parts left. Cars in deep water have been salvageable that long, but these were only in about fifty to sixty feet of water most of the time. Plenty of oxygen at that depth to rust and rot.
Articles in our local paper point out that anything left behind and previously covered by the lake is under the jurisdiction of the parks department and considered an artifact, therefore illegal to remove. Those articles also said that the B-29 is still there, but was in deeper water and still under about forty feet of water. They said many scuba divers have been going down to see it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

The article that Mike posted the link to says Lake Mead is currently at 37% capacity. I wonder how that compares to the level in 1945 when the photo was taken.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration