Wearing out right front tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wearing out right front tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

On our 1911 touring, I seem to wear through right front (passenger side) tires fairly fast. It does not pull to one side or the other and the wear seems to be even across the tire. How do I fix this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Check the Left Front wheel for runout. Runout in a Model T front wheel usually scrubs tread off the tire on the opposite side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

I had the same problem on one of my T's. It turned out the front axle was bent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Your front axle is bent. I had the same problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Improper toe-in will do it too. Too much toe-in will wear the left front tire, and too little (or some toe-out) will wear the right one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

Crowned roads cause it too. Holding left to keep it from wanting to turn right (downhill) puts a greater load on the right front wheel. May not be your problem as you say it doesn't pull, but mine doesn't pull either on the level, but it does on roads with pronounced crown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

I see a lot of Ts with this issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

My 14 touring did not pull to the side and toe in was correct. Yet the right tire was wearing rapidly. I placed a carpenter square against the yoke of the front axle near the king pin. One side showed a 1/4" gap at the top of the yoke, while the square was against the bottom of the yoke. The opposite side had a gap of 5/8+". After the axle was removed from the car, with the spindles removed, it was clear the right side of the axle was bent back. My conclusion was the sometime in its like the right wheel made a hard hit on something.

14 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 03:19 am:

Excessive toe in will cause wear on the outside of both front tyres while toe out will wear the inside of both. I agree with the others, when they talk about a bent axle. Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Last year, I had just got my Speedster back on the road after a rebuild. After about 300 miles, my new front right tire was nearly bald. Checked the toe-in; it was about double what it should've been, though I couldn't feel it in the steering. Made the adjustment back to spec and swapped tires. Now the wear is minimal, and very comparable to the other three tires. Check the easy things first; toe-in and your axle for bends, as noted by others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 07:52 am:

As Alan mentioned, toe should wear both tires. I suspect a bent axle, or a bad tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Just my experience, but I had excessive toe-in, and only my right front tire was showing excessive wear. My left front was fine, looking much the same as my rear tires. After correcting the toe-in and replacing the tire, all four show consistent, minimal wear. Of course, other's experience may be different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:01 am:

Check your spindles to make sure you have a matched pair. Height of spindle part on the vertical and also same angle between the horizontal and the vertical part, should be aprox 3.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration