Attaching new top to rear of body - I have a question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Attaching new top to rear of body - I have a question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

I have the instructions from Cartouche. They have you tacking the bottom of the rear curtain to the rear tack strip on the body at 2 inch intervals. After this is done they recommend adding the gimp binding.

I have 2 questions:

1. I have the metal strip that goes around the back of the body after the rear curtain is installed. If I install the metal strip do I not install gimp binding, or do I install gimp binding and the metal strip? Pictures of what you did would help.

2. After the rear curtain is installed there will be a couple inches of curtain below the tacking strip. Am I suppose to take a razor blade and neatly cut off the extra and then install the gimp binding or metal strip?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

The metal strip alone and cut the excess fabric off after the trim strip is installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 08:06 am:

Normally Cartouche instructions are highly suspect. However in this case I think they are spot on. The original upholstery has the binding installed all the way across the seat back, then the metal strip is screwed in place to fasten the top rear curtain to the seat. You can see the original binding and upholstery in this photo of my 'a7 torpedo runabout:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Royce

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for posting the picture.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration