License Plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: License Plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

I have a pair of 1917 Illinois license plates. Something I found interesting is one has vertical slotted holes in between the numbers and the other plate does not. I am wondering if the plate with the vertical slotted holes is in case the plate is mounted on the radiator so, some air goes through to cool the radiator? If anyone knows the reason for this I would appreciate it very much.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

That's absolutely correct. Illinois used a ventilated plate for the front and a solid one for the back from 1912-1918. 1912 used one with holes drilled all over it, 1913 was a stencil and then the more familiar slots were started in 1914.

I have a pair of California pre-state issued plates that are solid and mounted on a screen for the front. I have seen other pre-1914 Californias that are similar, but I don't know of any other states that used a ventilated plate on the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Our givenors making license plates is an Illinois tradition. Currently there is two in prison, I think, with one waiting. One sold truck drivers licenses and the other was selling Obamas senate seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 10:39 am:

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration