Flywheel question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Flywheel question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dan kuffel on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

I want to add a ring gear for a starter to this transmission. A couple questions I have...this flywheel does not have a shelf that the ring gear would normally go on. It does have the holes in it but they are threaded and I had someone tell me that they shouldnt be and that the only way to add a ring gear is to have the shelf or collar on the flywheel. Just looking for your opinions, advice, suggestions or anything else you would like to reply to me. The motor number says it is a July 1921 if that makes any difference to what I have here. Thanks for reading this.flywheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Does it have magnets? That what the threaded holes are for, to hold the magnets down. You would be better off just getting the correct flywheel that was made for the ring gear and go from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dan kuffel on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 12:18 am:

it does not have magnets and this will have a distributor as well so i was planning on slingers so i would need shorter screws for the gear. that might be when I had all the questions come up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 12:28 am:

There were just some good post on slingers
mtfca; slingers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 01:37 am:

If U need a fly wheel let m know. I have several.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 01:40 am:

If U need a fly wheel let m know. I have several.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 05:08 am:

After the starter option was added sometime in 1919 all engines got flywheels with ring gears, so I think someone has changed the flywheel or the whole transmission in your '21 engine at some point. I think it'll be easy to find a good replacement starter flywheel - but you'll have to take the transmission apart to get it in place, and that may be like opening another can of worms..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dan kuffel on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 07:37 am:

Thank you for the replies. I do have another complete transmission with ring gear and magnets on it that could act as slingers. I didn't really want to change it out that way but sounds like that might be the quickest and easiest way to get the thing ready fior a starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Dan, If you are changing out the flywheel and running distributer I would loose the magnets and add slingers, less chance of throwing a magnet at higher rpm's. If you do not add anything to the flywheel, I have seen wrist pins blued from not enough oil vapors through the engine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration