The Torpedo Kid: T-chassis questions!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The Torpedo Kid: T-chassis questions!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mikael Thelin on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Hi there,

Mikael from Sweden here.

I recently started a new little project inspired by the 1902 land speed record car Baker Electric Torpedo Kid.

Here is the original and it's chassisÖ

I am now in the early days of planning a chassis for the car.
One interesting scenario is to base the chassis on Model-T Ford components (including after market and custom parts from the hot rod world etc...)
I have no prior experience with this kind of cars (normally restore and drive Citroen DSes)

My question to this T community is a large one:

I attach a quick sketch of how the ideal chassis rebuild would basically look compared to a standard T chassis.

Basically it would be great if the wheel base could be shortened a bit, the steering wheel centered and moved forward and front & rear axles mounted on top of the frame, with suitable suspension.
(The car would be powered buy an electric motor attached to the rear axle)

How would you go about to make a chassis like that?

I would really appreciate all ideas and advise at these early stages to explore what can be done.

Check out my page here:
www.torpedokid.com
You can also check out the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/thetorpedokid

Best regards
Mikael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Looks interesting. You can definitely shorten and lower the chassis. The rest is just ingenuity on your part. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

the original underslung chassis design is intriguing. front spring connection looks to be the reverse of a T setup ( center of spring connected to axle) also like the limiting straps that keep the chassis from dropping too low. I'd like to see you try to copy the original frame as much as possible then use some T parts like wheels. If you want to underslung a T frame, start by flipping it up side down and reattaching the front spring to the crossmember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mikael Thelin on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Thank's for your input.

As mentioned my experience with T is none, so fare my focus has been on my CitroŽn DSes, where lowering is just a matter if pulling a lever. (Here's a link to my long term DS project: www.hjulius.com )

My plan with the Torpedo Kid project is to use standard bolt on components (such as T parts) as fare as possible for a first tribute build, to drive while researching and designing a more orthodox replica.
Hoping to use existing solutions and parts I appreciate all ideas on methods of lowering a T chassis and modify the suspension as well as what parts to use and where to find them.
Also interested in how the steering could me modified to suitable specifications.

Best regards
Mikael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mikael Thelin on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration