Gaskets for Oil Pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Gaskets for Oil Pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

I am ready to marry up the oil pan to the block on my 26 Tudor. What do you all recommend for gaskets? Should I use the paper gaskets, the silicone based products, or both? Thanks, Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

I have found the repop paper gaskets leak because they do not compress well. I make my own from rubber impregnated cork sheets using a repop for a pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

If you want no oil leaks clean the surface very Clean with a solvent like Naptha and use ULTRA Black from Permatex. Some will say here that they have had a hard time getting things apart but if you use a thin putty knife in between I have not had any problems and no leaks.

Don't substitute for just black rtv it's not the same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions. I will weigh both methods and come up with one that I think will work for me. I have used ULTRA Black before on oil pans on other motors I have rebuilt over the years on modern cars and it does seem to work great and with that method you don't have to make new gaskets. You just have to ensure that all surfaces are really clean before you start spreading the sealant. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

In addition to the good advice above, make sure the pan is straight. It will be easier to seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Thanks John I'll check before I bolt it on. Thanks, Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

Over the years the area around the bolt holes gets pulled up, make sure they are flat also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Use Permatex no.II non harding. I used silicone and had to redo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

What Mark G said is probably the most important thing to do to avoid pan leaks. All the good gaskets you can buy wont work well if the pan bolt areas aren't flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Phillip, That's exactly why I prefer the Ultra Black. It'll outseal / perform better than any old type #2. I've been told that's what is used today on many OEM cars. You don't see any leaks on a new car anymore.

The old sillycone seemed to peel off and not adhere very well at least on places that I have seen it used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 12:49 am:

I use repopulate gaskets with a beer of blue rtv gasket on both sides

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 04:34 am:

Bob,??? Do you look at your posts before you send them? Not trying to be an a$$, but many of them don't make much sense. What are repopulate gaskets with a beer of blue rtv? Just sayin'. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:58 am:

David, Once you get a "smart" phone with autocorrect you'll understand Bob's postings
:-)

(maybe repurposed/reused gaskets with a bead of blue rtv?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Most likely "repop gasket & a smear of" Rogers right until you check the auto correct or voice text before you send some really crazy texts or messages get sent. I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

I like the paper gaskets with RTV on the none machined surface. So I goop up the pan, install the gasket and the attach to the block without goop. Same for the hogs head. I also use the felt gasket on the head smeared with RTV on all surfaces. Do not cut shorter, push it around until it fits. Works for me on about 50 engines....
Word of caution, if you delete the magneto and the magneto coils, make sure the bolt holes don't go thru the block. That has been the only serious leak causing me a warranty problem...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Yeah wife had auto correct going and repo paper gaskets came out repopulate with beer???? Go figure
I also set the preview post option here sorry
Had good luck with blue rtv and paper gaskets
I use rubber sided washers on the pan bottom after making it flat as I can or cork when I can find it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

I use copper washers on the inspection pan, solves all the drip problems. Buy from Mcmaster in bags of 50.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 03:46 am:

Bob, that makes sense. I didn't think about that. I have seen some really weird things from the auto post thingie. Nice to know it knows more than we do<g>. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

The washers with a rubber insert work very well and I think are available from the T vendors.

Others have simply used a piece if thread with sealant wrapped around the bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Naptha probably works well for a wipedown, but is hard for me to get. Acetone is another alternative that works really well.

Skip this step at your peril!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:20 am:

The washers Gene mentioned are called sealing washers (5/16"). I use them on the pan's inspection plate. They are available at bolt & screw stores and sometimes at big-box stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Why can't they make cork gaskets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Larry, Most likely because they shrink and don't fit right if they are on the shelf for a long time. And probably because the material costs $0.01 more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 11:07 am:

If gaskets has shrunk, put them in water and let them soak - I learned that lesson from older friends, we should be able to pass that lesson on :-) (or it could be written in the catalog)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Once and awhile I can get cork sheets from my contact at Napa I just make new ones from the paper ones

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Not a gasket, but they sure work. Buy a box of Dorman 5/16" copper brake line washers for the bottom oil pan cover, and use them on those bolts. Your drips from those bolts will go away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 03:31 am:

Don't know if I'm too impatient or what, but I have NEVER gotten a shrunken cork gasket to expand by soaking it in water, no matter what it was for. I have tried that trick many times over the last 50 years, even letting them soak for a few days, never worked. Maybe they were just too old? Dunno. I much prefer the paper type, always have. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 05:25 am:

David, maybe it was paper gaskets I used the trick on then? it was a '38 Chxxy with rubber gaskets for the pan that failed - I found old nos pan gaskets at a swap but they were too short. Lengthened to fit overnight in a bucket of water. Can't really tell what exact material they were except it wasn't rubber as those who were there before (it was 25 years ago) - and it worked :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

There's a reason why millions upon millions of cars used oil pan and valve cover gaskets made of cork.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration